We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Chicago
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Ireland in January and Car Parking

Myself and three friends are heading to Ireland in January for a week. We have booked a 'Castle Tour', which just means we have pre-arranged places to stay in 'castles' each night. We have a car, so will be driving between them and able to do our own thing during the days. We have been reading Ireland for Dummies, and it has us spooked about parking. As it is, we aren't going to spend any time in Dublin, the biggest city we will probably go into will be Cork. We would like to see many of the points of interest that are open during January, but the book made it sound like the only way to stop in and see things in a town is if you are taking the bus, otherwise parking is a problem. Is this going to be an issue in the cities or towns or am I overblowing this whole thing? Thanks!

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,248 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland in January and Car Parking

To be honest what the book says sounds like complete nonsense. Dublin city centre is full of multi-storey car parks, your main problem there would be negotiating the 1 way streets. Most other towns and cities will have street parking or covered car parks. Expect to pay 3-4euro per hour parking in Dublin, cork etc and maybe 1-2 euro per hour in regional towns although many towns have free parking

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,366 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland in January and Car Parking

Merchant's Quay Car Park is in the centre of Cork and is where we always park when in Cork City. But for e.g. Blarney, Cobh, Middleton, Fota etc there are either car parks or free on-street parking.

In Limerick there are lots of car parks near the Hunt Museum (King John's Castle is currently undergoing repairs/renovations and won't be open until Summer 2013) but there is also on-street parking that you can pay for using parking discs. Ask in the nearest shop to the spot you pick and they will direct you to a shop that will sell you a disc (2 hours) for €2.

Galway also has a lot of car parks (we park in the one over Marks and Spencers, I don't know the name of the street).

The majority of locals use cars here. January is also a very quiet month. So please don't worry, you will be fine.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland in January and Car Parking

We've just come out of a period in the run up to Christmas where parking is a pain, but January should be quiet.

In Cork, you have three options

- On street parking - To be honest, this is a pain. Unless you know the city, you won't know the good areas to look for parking. Parking is for a maximum of 2 hours and you have to buy a disc from a convenience store.

- Off street parking - This sounds best for you. You drive in and pay for the time you've spent in there when you leave with no maximum stay. Prices are between €1.60 an hour and €3.20 an hour. A few car parks (railway station & Patrick's Quay) have daily rates in the region of €8 a day.

- Blackash Park and Ride - If you don't want to get the bus in, this is not for you. However, it saves driving into a strange city and costs €5 for the day to park, with the bus for 4 people included in the price.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,570 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland in January and Car Parking

Do not worry, there are lots of multi storey car parks in Cork city. That book for Dummies is not very accurate about that.

Here is a link to the main ones - but there are others. You will easily get parking in January. Just be aware that while there are on street parking spaces you will need a parking disk for that (available in nearby shops) - so best to just park in one of the multi storeys or use the very good Black Ash Park and Ride as mentioned by Bean A.

http://parking.corkcity.ie/

Edited: 26 December 2012, 17:00
Chicago
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ireland in January and Car Parking

Thank you so much! That eases my mind. I was working myself into a fit about it, and now I can start working myself into a fit about something else! :)

6. Re: Ireland in January and Car Parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Cork
Recent Conversations