We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dress code .

uk
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
dress code .

hello !!

we are 18 geordies from newcastle gong to cork on 12th, 13th may stopping at the greasham metropole hotel. we know the large group crack as we go to other towns for trips etc,but is it worth gong out on the first night (fri ) wearing smart casual white trainers and smart casual tshirt .

we are not bothered about paying to get into expensive clubs but we prefere to go in steady bars and maybe stop there if they are open late as a club etc.

I heard a lot depends on the bouncers, and do you reckon all lads even though in 20s should take ID out with them.

are the trad irish bars ok with smart casual dress.

lastly, can you pick us a route to start us on our way on first night from metropole hotel, just 4 or 5 bars to help us out.

thanks for any help.

ireland
Level Contributor
117 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dress code .

hi you wont get into any bar wearing trainers especially white ones. black or dark shoes. all of you will need id irish bouncers will always ask no matter how old you look, they ask men more than women, and also because your gonna be a big group. i cant remember the names of any pubs but there everywhere. just ask someone in the street!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dress code .

Riddle me this one, please!

"hi you wont get into any bar wearing trainers especially white ones. black or dark shoes"

Is it okay for me to wear purple ones? Can I have glitzy bits on my not whlte/black/dark shoes? Will it be ok for me to go barefoot? Am I really going to be stuck with brown shoes? Am I missing a dreadfullly important fashion statement? Am I going to be banned from entering Cork city? Just bought red shoes, could I get away with those?

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,746 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dress code .

ppis. Some pubs dont like the whole 18 bloke thing. However some of the superpubs will welcome you with open arms even throw on some light food if you plan on sticking around a while. Even reserve a small section for you.

Somebody else can help you out with a pub like this.

Dress code. It would be like at home. Shirt & trousers or jeans. Wear shoes, Im sure you dont have purple shoes so wear the casual shoes. No trainers. Bouncers here are like bouncers everywhere, mini power trips. Bring an ID just in case. If you happen on one of the pubs where they dont like big groups of blokes they will try and find anything to refuse you for so just make sure you have the ID.

There is probably going to be a few of you refused anyway. I can imgaine out of 18 blokes that at least one or two will look a little worse for wear even leaving the hotel to go out for the night.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dress code .

agree with all the other posts! basically try and cause as little hassle as possible, just a few weeks ago, I was in Reardons Bar (One of the bigger pubs on Washington st) and a group of lads from England were there on a stag. All were discretly asked to leave although the bar was empty and nobody was causing any hassle!!! so beware, even if your in the pub, the big bad bouncers are still waiting to pounce! In terms of clothes, smart and smart trainers shouldn't be a problem but if there are looking for any reason to turn you away, then that would be one. Would recommend bringing ID, if your in your 20s you won't need it, but if they ask well at least you'll have it! Also would recommend you spittling into smaller groups of three maybe when heading to the pubs, less likely to turn you away when they don't see a big crowd!!! would recommend the slightly bigger bars if you all wnat to fit in and actually be able to move, dance, sing, fall, talk, etc. The Old Oak, McCurtain St is nice, Scotts, McCurtain St has a great out door smoking room, Reardons (as mentioned earlier) is usually quite good (not sure what happened to those lads on that occasion) and has a club, Havanas upstairs! and last but not least have loads of fun!!!

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,746 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dress code .

Watch out for Hen Parties. They will on the prowl every weekend!!!

uk
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dress code .

cheers SALUKITTY!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for help, was starting to think that cork bars would all be a nightmare to get into . as long as we can just get into the bars wearing smart casual gear and maybe stop in a bar that has a club in it later, thats all we were after.

CHEERS.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dress code .

you'll get the bar/club malarky at Reardons, Washington St.; Classic Bar, North Main St and Scotts, Oliver Plunkett St!! all those are late night bars as well I think, and Old Oak is also late night with good live music as well!! If I see a big group of Georgie lads out over the weekend, I'll pop over and say hi!!:) have fun x

Cork
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: dress code .

hi there,

There are 2 fairly lively bars on McCurtain Street called the Shelbourne and Gallaghers, you could start your night off there, and then make your way down to Oliver Plunkett St where scotts and the Old oak, they are your best bet, you might be beter off breaking up into smaller groups as the boucers dont like the big gangs going in together, stupid I know but give them a pit of power and they think they rule the world. They are both late bars too and Scotts has a nigthclub upstairs, I think its free to get into the nightclub if you go in through the bar!!

On the saturday night head down to washington street where reardens and the bailey are, Costigans is quite good too.

Have a ball and behave!!

Will be heading over to your neck of the woods in September, i hope to fit in a night out on the Toon this time. (mam is from durham so i'm about 25% geordie)

Only managed a shopping trip last time so any recommendations would be welcome!!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: dress code .

Bertie2 and Irishbaby,

We are traveling with our family .. My kids are 17,19, and 21. I was there 2 years ago and frequented the small pubs and we went into the pubs with sneakers. Also, is it appropriate to wear shorts and sneakers or do you have to wear long trousers in the pubs.

Thanks

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
213 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: dress code .

Hi Irishrose,

It's a case per case thing! Like if you look like tourists and you're with your family then you will probably be allowed in anywhere unless they have a strict dress code for actual dress code purposes.

18 lads from the UK will have to look as inconspicious as possible so the bouncers don't have a reason to refuse them and they certainly wouldn't be allowed in in trainers. Basically bouncers don't want group of lads in because they're afraid they'll cause trouble and they'll use trainers and dress code as their excuse. I think thats why a lot of pubs advertise that they have a dress code when it's not adhered to at all. The lads are not tourists in the true sense of the word no offence meant at all to any stag nights visiting!! You should be fine in shorts but for your own comfort and if you don't want to stick out you may be better in trousers after 9 or so as thats what the vast majority wears.

I hope that made sense!

Bee