We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Irish Rail - Dublin to Cork

Which Cork hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Irish Rail - Dublin to Cork

I'll be taking the train from Dublin to Cork and switching in Mallow. I'm assuming the connecting train would be across the Platform like it is in NY but I shouldn't assume. Does anyone know?

Also, is there any benefit to buying a round-trip ticket online at www.irishrail.ie? Or can I buy it at the station upon arrival? I read that I would need to buy it 2 hours prior to the departure time/day before?

Edited: 09 January 2013, 18:51
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,923 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Irish Rail - Dublin to Cork

You can often get better value on-line.

In terms of buying in the station, you can buy your ticket for the train up to about 5 minutes before the train leaves (so that you have time to actually get on the train!!!).

I can't help with the change in Mallow. However there are lots of direct intercity trains without a change in Mallow. Could you get one of those?

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Irish Rail - Dublin to Cork

As Bean A notes, most Dublin - Cork services are direct. It would be unusual to have to change in Mallow. However, if you take this service, Mallow is a small station with only 3 active platforms. However, you may have to switch platforms via a footbridge to get to the Cork train.

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,111 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Irish Rail - Dublin to Cork

There are direct trains on the hour for most of the day, I would take one of these even though changing is easy. Definitely book online as it will be cheaper

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Irish Rail - Dublin to Cork

Thanks Bean. I am traveling on a Sunday. There is one intercity train just after the train I'm looking at. I was just looking to save two hours getting into Cork because whatever is actually open on Sunday will be closing early. I see your in Limerick. Need to make it over there at some point. My ancestors lived on pennywell st

Thanks again

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,923 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Irish Rail - Dublin to Cork

Pennywell isn't a big area. Let me know if you are heading over and I'll help where I can.

Limerick Corporation also have good archives on-line.

When did your family leave?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Irish Rail - Dublin to Cork

Bean,

They left in the mid 1800s (i forget the year off hand) unlike my cork family who left in 1905 Thanks for the tips. I really appreciate it. I will be stopping in limerick but on a day tour on the way to the cliffs. I wish i could drive manual transmission but im american. Hahahaaa

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Irish Rail - Dublin to Cork

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to answer.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,923 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Irish Rail - Dublin to Cork

Limerick City Archives - you may find something of interest

http://www.limerickcity.ie/Archives/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Irish Rail - Dublin to Cork

Just have to say thanks once more Bean. I've already found my family name in the papers on that website!

China
Level Contributor
32 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Irish Rail - Dublin to Cork

Hi Schmoelley, I'd have no hesitation in getting the early train (08:30?) and changing at Mallow. Mallow station is so small you couldn't miss the correct platform. You may have to go up and over a couple of tracks via a footbridge. I'd also reiterate the advice of earlier posters; - buy online! Much better value. journeyplanner.irishrail.ie/bin/query.exe/en

Get answers to your questions about Cork