We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many passengers can train Cobh to Cork hold?

Which Cork hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
133 posts
433 reviews
Save Topic
How many passengers can train Cobh to Cork hold?

We will arrive via a cruise ship at on a saturday Cobh at 1 pm. Ship has 1200 passengers. Train runs once an hour. Doing the math, unless the train holds 500 passengers, it will still take more than 2 dedicated cruise passenger trains to transport the majority of passengers to Cork. Similarly, the return trip has to factor in the capacity issue so one has to come back perhaps 2-3 hrs before sailing at 8pm. That makes for a mere 3-4 hrs in Cork ( ship has to clear customs and immigration, as Cobh is the first stop of the ship in Ireland, coming from Newfoundland. It's very unlikely that we can make it to the 1:30 pm train , so 2:30 train will mean arrival Cork at 3pm. Has to be back to ship by 7:30 at the latest, so should not take a train later than 6 pm)

The only way that makes it more leisurely is if the train company puts on specials for that day, adding " cruise trains " to transport cruise passengers to and from Cork. Has that ever happened?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How many passengers can train Cobh to Cork hold?

Very good, but that was a once off as there was a food and drink festival going on. Approximately 70 Cruise ships will dock at Cobh in 2013, there will not be a revised train schedule for the majority of those ships.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: How many passengers can train Cobh to Cork hold?

Although it isn't clear from the I.É website, I understand that the schedule is additional to the regular hourly service and included the Midlleton spur for the festival. Here's one from a month eralier which clearly says that it is additional and doesn't serve all the stops:

Extra Cobh-Cork Rail Services - Arrival of Cruise Liner, Saturday 13th August by Corporate Communications

To facilitate additional demand from passengers on the Cruise Liner arriving in Cobh on Saturday 13th August extra services will operate between Cobh and Cork.

In addition to the scheduled timetable between Cobh and Cork, the following extra services will operate:

Saturday 13th August

From Cobh to Cork:

10.00, 11.00, 12.00, 13.00, 14.00, 15.00, 16.00

From Cork to Cobh:

09.30, 10.30, 11.30, 12.30, 13.30, 14.30, 15.30

These services are available to all customers and will serve Fota and Glouthaune only. Customers wishing to travel from Cobh to Midleton should change trains at Glounthaune.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: How many passengers can train Cobh to Cork hold?

ps - they sometimes double the length of the trains too to increase capacity = to carry 688

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
133 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: How many passengers can train Cobh to Cork hold?

Thanks, this really helps.

Cork, Ireland
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: How many passengers can train Cobh to Cork hold?

For the larger ships (2500+) Irish rail always put on extra trains - they increase the frequency to one every 30 minutes. These extra trains will not appear on the website, but the timetable is communicated to the ship directly. For the Oceania Marina, I doubt that extra trains will be added. However There should be no problem getting on the train however as 50% of passengers typically go on a tour bus excursion anyway. As for customs, as soon as the ship is safely moored, you will be able to just walk off the ship onto Irish soil! No "Passport Control" or anything like that.

Why not consider a leisurely afternoon and evening in Cobh instead? - it is a lovely friendly town just a stroll from the ship with lots to see and do. visitcobh.com/index.php/…

Either way enjoy your cruise and short visits to Ireland

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: How many passengers can train Cobh to Cork hold?

TAk, if for any reason you cannot get onto the returning train from Cork city to Cobh ( and as I've already said I cannot see that happening at all), just jump in a taxi at the station. They are plentiful and they will whisk you back to Cobh terminal in 20 - 25 minutes. Cost, about €35, which, if you are sharing with others should only cost you €10 each.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
133 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: How many passengers can train Cobh to Cork hold?

Brilliant suggestions, you two!

Now I can literally decide when I walk off the ship whether to explore Cobh only, or to train to Cork without worrying about missing my ship. I don't know why I did not think to ask about taxi, it's a small price to pay considering the alternative!

18. Re: How many passengers can train Cobh to Cork hold?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Cork