We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Usefulness of bringing an IPad

Which Cork hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Chester...
8 posts
Save Topic
Usefulness of bringing an IPad

We are planning a trip at the end of this summer arriving in Cork and leaving from Belfast 2 weeks later. We are so used to having a laptop with us in the states to help us look for things, places. Would an IPad be useful in Ireland?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,392 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Usefulness of bringing an IPad

It would be very useful. Free WiFi is availalble in lots of places. You may have to ask for the security code in some establishments, and if they are offering a WiFi connection to their customers then they will gladly give you that. Some places don't need the code (sometimes referred to as the WEP code here)

I would bring it, just take care of it and keep an eye on it. They are very popular items here !

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,228 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Usefulness of bringing an IPad

Certainly preferable to lugging a laptop around.

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Usefulness of bringing an IPad

I'm sitting in a bar in Athlone checking my mail, downloading Sports Illustrated and sending this post on my Ipad.

Manistee, Michigan
Level Contributor
255 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Usefulness of bringing an IPad

We just went with another couple and we both used our iPads every day. The hotels and most of the B & B's have wifi. Lots of the bars and restaurants have it available too. It was very help for directions, restaurants and websites for the attractions.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,518 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Usefulness of bringing an IPad

Not just in Cork but all over Ireland. :)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k64640…

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,479 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Usefulness of bringing an IPad

When I was in the Marble Arch caves, someone on the tour was carting an ipad with them and instantly sharing their photos with the world, thought that was pretty neat :)

I don't have an ipad, but I have a blackberry playbook, which will come with me if I ever get back over again.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Usefulness of bringing an IPad

Definitely bring your iPad instead of laptop, so much lighter, easier to carry and as Tarry11 posted can take photos and share them instantly! (We found it easier last trip to Ireland in April)

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
11,567 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Usefulness of bringing an IPad

IPad chargers can normally be used with a range of voltages - just check yours has INPUT 100 - 240V written on it - the important bit being 240V. If it has all you need is a plug adapter to the Irish/UK type with 3 square pins.

West Chester...
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Usefulness of bringing an IPad

Thanks to all who responded to my question!! Can't wait for our trip!!!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
286 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Usefulness of bringing an IPad

We are planning on taking an iPad when we go. I recently bought this cool little doo-dad so I can transfer my pics from my camera card directly to the iPad:

amazon.com/Apple-iPad-Camera-Connection-MC53…

Get answers to your questions about Cork