We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cork City buses

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,205 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Cork City buses

I must be a very inept googler today--can only find into about HOHO buses or buses to/from Cork.

We're thinking that (if it's possible) taking a bus from the Cork Vision Centre to the Cork City Gaol Museum and/or a bus from the Gaol to the Lewis Glucksman Art Museum might give our feet a welcome break.

Does anyone know about the bus routes or a website I can use to figure it out?

Many thanks.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,571 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cork City buses

The vision Centre is about 15mins walk to the Glucksman and the Gaol is about 25 mins walk from the Glucksman, so yes, while a bus would be a nice option to save the bunnions there are no direct routes between those locations. In fact, no buses use the street that the vision centre is on.

The HOHO will take you to both the Glucksman at UCC and also to the Gaol, so I recommend that option rather than using public busses which will just be time consuming and to be honest you will walk to the venues faster. The HOHO will also take you within a reasonable walking distance of the Vision Centre

If you do want to use the city buses though, here is the link:

www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=248#Cork

For Glucksman at UCC you can take the 205 or 208

For the Gaol at Sundays Well you can take the 211.

Tickets can be purchased on board and they give change. The buses I mention above have main stops at Patrick Street (our main street).

What I suggest is as follows:

From Patrick street - walk to Vision Centre (<10mins). From Vision Centre walk to Glucksman (10mins +), from there walk to City Gaol, via the lovely Fitzgeralds park, across the river using the 'Shakey bridge' and up the hill then to the Gaol (20+minutes). Alternatively - HOHO ;-))

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,205 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cork City buses

Thank you very, very much for the detailed information.

We're not big HOHO fans--it's pricey if we just use it for one or two rides, and only running very 45 minutes means we could do a lot of waiting. We'll probably walk--the exercise is good for us.

We're going to visit the Glucksman last because it's very near where we're staying (Garnish House).

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
5 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cork City buses

Unless you specifically NEED a car, and only intend to visit the towns or cities I recommend using the buses. The terminal is conveniently mid town, by one of the 2 rivers. Frequent buses run seemingly to every town and village. You get a better view fro high up on a bus and the journey times are only a few minutes more than driving. Bus fares can be favourably compared to a small rented car with 4 persons. No strain and drinking driving is not a concern. I recommend where possible go by bus. also wort remembering that parking in town is expensive, so if youre staying in a town centre hotel expect to pay around €25 a night parking, which alone is more than a persons bus fare to most of the surrounding towns

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,774 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cork City buses

They've been and gone ;-)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,205 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cork City buses

Yes, our trip was in August.

We spent 4 days in Dublin, then rented a car for a month. I certainly would NOT have wanted to do the trip using public transportation. We loved the freedom and flexibility of being able to travel/stop when and where we wanted.

In most places, parking was included with our lodging.

6. Re: Cork City buses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Cork
Recent Conversations