We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Blarney or Cork?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
99 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Blarney or Cork?

After spending two nights in Killarney, my friend and I are headed to Kenmare and then to Blarney before stopping for the night. The question is: should we stay in Blarney for the night or Cork? It'll be a Friday night. I'm leaning towards Cork because I think there will be more to do at night. But someone told my friend that Cork has more of an industrial feel to it, and he thinks perhaps Blarney is the better choice.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,668 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Blarney or Cork?

Stay in Cork (no contest), with the greatest respect to Blarney which is only 6 miles from the city anyway, but the city has so much more in terms of accommodation, eating and drinking options.

I am not sure if the "someone" who gave your friend advice has ever been to Cork city;-)) There is no industry of any great significance that I can think of in the City centre. It is a business, shopping, eating, drinking city, beautifully compact in size and a doddle to navigate on foot with tons of accommodation choices to suit all pockets, restaurant every 50metres and a good pub every 49metres !!!!

Any industrial activity (mainly Pharma) that happens here, happens at Little Island or Ringaskiddy which are south and East of the city and you will not encounter those areas unless you want to. It is unlikely either that you will encounter our Murphys (stout) brewery, famous brewer of our two local stouts (Murphys and Beamish) which you will have to sample and while it is certainly city centre based, it has to be sniffed out, as it's not that obvious !

Blarney is essentially a large and popular suburb of the city, with the small village at it's core, and of course the famous castle (well worth a visit - by the way), + the nearby Blarney Woolen Mills, which is in fact a converted mills, now a large and very well stocked Irish Souvenir shop that sells everything from Guinness bottle openers, to Waterford Glass and good quality Irish clothing and jewwellery. Also worth a visit when in Blarney and only a <5 minute walk from the castle gates. There are accommodations and pubs there but nothing on the variety and scale of lovely Cork city only a hop, skip and a jump away,.

So, my recommendation is that you stay in the city and then either drive or take the bus to Blarney. The bus journey is 25 minutes and by car about 20.

While you are in Cork too, you might get some time to visit some of the following:

Edited: 29 July 2013, 08:29
Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,846 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Blarney or Cork?

Google " Cobh Heritage "

Level Contributor
168 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Blarney or Cork?

Cork no contest. Dont now what the someone is on about. Countless places to eat and drink i would recommend issacs hotel

Level Contributor
66 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Blarney or Cork?

I stayed in Cork this month and loved it! This city has a range of places to enjoy - eating, sightseeing, shopping, performances, etc. There is a wonderful energy about the place and the people are warm-hearted and welcoming. I've noticed other posts agree with this viewpoint as well - not surprised. Hope you'll also agree!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
29,254 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in Blarney or Cork?

Far better choice in Cork.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
99 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in Blarney or Cork?

Thanks everyone. That settles it. We're staying in Cork!

Level Contributor
1,388 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay in Blarney or Cork?

Several years ago we went to Ireland with our local pub and because said pub sold a lot of Murphy's Irish stout we got a tour of The Lady's Well Brewery of James J. Murphy & Co. It was quite memorable and they even fed us in the pub that is at the brewery. We got to buy at cost so many cool items. We all learned to pour many stouts that day. Loved that tour! Butler's buses did the driving for the 20 of us. The English market and butter museum were things we did that didn't involve drinking. One trip we took a bus to Kinsale from Cork and loved it.

8. Re: Stay in Blarney or Cork?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Cork
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question