We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stag friendly pubs and restaurants

Dublin, Ireland
1 post
Save Topic
Stag friendly pubs and restaurants

Hi,

A group of 14 of us are heading over for a stag weekend 14/15th March 2014 and were wondering where is best to go to eat in the evening for the whole group and then pubs/clubs that would welcome a stag party?!

Is there anything special happening that weekend as it is the weekend before St Patrick's Day!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,812 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stag friendly pubs and restaurants

Keep an eye on this site re St Patricks Day festival. It hasn't been updated for 2014 but will be in the next week or two www.corkstpatricksfestival.ie/eventswhatson/

Also look at this site - it's very informative and up to date www.whazon.com

A Stag party of 14 should not arrive at any pub/club en masse as the chances are they may have trouble getting in especially if they are any way 'messy' (even in fun)

For eats I suggest Clancys bar (a fine sized bar for a big group) with a separate room upstairs if you want to book a table. The Oliver Plunkett bar also does good food and has a good atmosphere. Soho is also another suggestion as is the Cornstore - all popular with Stags/Hens. Any of them would suit a group. Check them out on the web before you decide. I would recommend that you book a table to eat somewhere for the Saturday night, as it gets busy.

Good sporty pubs are Costigans, Reardens and the Woolshed. There are tons more to choose from, I can't list them all, there is a pub every 50 feet in the city centre !

Other locals on this forum will give you additional good advice for a good weekend here.

Mentioned in this post
The Oliver Plunkett
The Oliver Plunkett
2,470 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stag friendly pubs and restaurants

Thanks Bryno, from what I understand Clancy's has been flooded!! So hopefully they be back open by 14th.

In terms of pubs/clubs in the evening, where is best for live music? Would you suggest splitting in to groups of 4/5 to get in to all of the places or is there anywhere that would welcome a group of 14 lads?

Also, Saturday 15th March is the last games of the 6 nations rugby, is it safe to assume that all of the places recommended to eat above will be showing it and therefore will be full when the rugby is on?

Mentioned in this post
Clancy's
Clancy's
19 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,812 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stag friendly pubs and restaurants

Responses below prefixed by @@@@

Thanks Bryno, from what I understand Clancy's has been flooded!! So hopefully they be back open by 14th.

@@@@ I'll check Clancys for you today and see if it's open again. Don't worry loads of places to eat here, however, I do recommend you book ahead if 14 of you want to eat together.

In terms of pubs/clubs in the evening, where is best for live music? Would you suggest splitting in to groups of 4/5 to get in to all of the places or is there anywhere that would welcome a group of 14 lads?

@@@@ Trad music: Here is a link that I (and others) keep as up to date as possible. With regard other music venues, I'll get back to you but Crane Lane and The Pavilion are both excellent possibillites, Google both of them. Even a group of 4/5 might ring warning bells with the bouncers (if there are bouncers on the door, and most places do at weekends here) Do whatever you can not to let them know there are 14 of you is all I can recommend! Play it by ear.

Also, Saturday 15th March is the last games of the 6 nations rugby, is it safe to assume that all of the places recommended to eat above will be showing it and therefore will be full when the rugby is on?

@@@@ Everywhere with a TV will be showing the six nations. Great bars for watching that will be Clancys, Old Oak, Reardens, Costigans, Woolshed + lots more. Once you go in early enough to those bars and behave (as much as anyone else) you won't have trouble.

Mentioned in this post
Clancy's
Clancy's
19 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
The Pavilion
The Pavilion
28 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,812 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stag friendly pubs and restaurants

You are right, Clancys is still closed. I called in there today and the place is closed with no sign of any renovation activity, which is very strange as you would expect they would like to be open for St. P. weekend in March. Anyway you can keep an eye on updates via facebook https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php… or Twitter @clancysbar1

Here is another venue that might interest you, it's slightly outside of city centre, but only slightly. http://www.theflyingenterprise.com/ If you get there, do try another 5 minute walk uphill to Tom Barrys - a very traditional building, but very popular with all age groups.

My last post on the subject for today - three pubs that dispense great craft beers and in one case whiskies

Abbots Ale House (this does craft beer and whiskies - but be warned that it's a very small place) <10 mins walk from Patrick Street

Bierhaus (<10 mins walk from Patrick street)

Franciscan Well (also brews it's own) (10 mins walk from Patrick Street- this one is on the same street as Bierhaus)

Mentioned in this post
The Bierhaus Cork
The Bierhaus Cork
28 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Stag friendly pubs and restaurants

Great, thanks for that.

Just another couple of things...sorry to keep bothering you...

We are thinking of going to the greyhound stadium on Friday night, will it be busy, do you know what the food there is like?

How easy is it to get from the airport to the city center? How much should it cost?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stag friendly pubs and restaurants

The dog track does two different types of food - a proper restaurant and food that is more generally available in the bar area.

I understand the restaurant is decent, but a bit safe in its selection of food. I haven't personally eaten there.

The food in the bar area isn't great and is more like finger food than proper meals.

For a large party, it would be safest to book if you're going to the restaurant, but there shouldn't be any need if just going to the dog track.

There are two options to get to the airport from the city centre.

The public bus service (226/226A) runs twice an hour and picks up at Kent Train Station, Parnell Place Bus Station and Anglesey St. The 226 has several extra stops around Turner's Cross, but you're unlikely to care about them as they are not close to accommodation or attractions. The cost is €5 single.

A taxi will cost around €13-18. They are easily available. The price will depend on the time of day, the exact location in the city centre and the number of passengers.

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Stag friendly pubs and restaurants

Thanks Blackgreen,

Do you have any further recommendations in terms of eating out in a large group? Or live music in a pub/bar for fri/sat evening?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stag friendly pubs and restaurants

The Crane Lane would be fine. There is a marginal danger that they will have a DJ on instead of Live Music, especially on a Saturday night.

Better still, it has two entrances - the main one and one through Mayne's wine bar - if you want to split your group up.

If metal or hard-rock suits, it could be worth checking out Fred Zeppelin's.

Otherwise, Cypress Avenue has good acts on, but is a paid venue

The Old Oak and The Oliver Plunkett often have live acts as well, although I'm not a huge fan of either bar.

Keep an eye on these links too for listings

http://whazon.com/gigs.html

www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/eventguide/

Mentioned in this post
The Oliver Plunkett
The Oliver Plunkett
2,470 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,812 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stag friendly pubs and restaurants

If you want to go to the dog track - book ahead, well worth it, as they will reserve an area for your group and they do 'packages' which include food. It's a great venue, a great night out and yes it will be very busy. You can bet as little or as much as you like. I don't like the food there, I think it's very hit and miss and not great value, however fast food is also available without having to book a sit down meal., so perhaps you could go with that They usually have live music right after the races however, I'm not sure if it would be to your taste (!!) but that remains to be seen.

While there is a bus there, I believe a taxi will be more convenient and will bring you right to the door. ABC Cabs are good, local number 4961961. There are others of course. Cork is awash with taxis/cabs ;-)) (Except at Christmas when I am at my christmast party !!)

Edited: 26 February 2014, 11:45
10. Re: Stag friendly pubs and restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 05:26
Get answers to your questions about Cork