We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eyeries - 8 days (with a car) - What to See/Do?

Which Cork hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington State...
Level Contributor
5 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Eyeries - 8 days (with a car) - What to See/Do?

My travel dates are July 12-20, 2014 and we will have a rental car once we leave Dubin. I am thinking of traveling down the M8 and turning off at Mitchelstown and then through Kenmare to our cottage which is about 10 minutes outside Eyeries.

I can see on a map how long the route is but I know it may or may not take me the listed 4 ½ hours due to weather, road conditions…sheep…

1. Does anyone know how long that route will actually take during the summer?

2. Are there any stops coming down that corridor that are MUST-SEE? Rock of Cashel…etc?

I am interested in day trips from Eyeries and though I have been researching for the last month and a half there are just so many options on things to see and do – my list is quite unrealistic. I am very much interested in the not-to-miss sights according to those who live in the local area and the reality-check regarding the travel times on getting from A to B (and back). I am traveling with my mom and aunt (ages 67 & 63) and I am not sure just how much walking/hiking they will be able to do but I am still interested in any suggestions because I am not above leaving them at the cottage and going myself!

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies to my query.

~Rikki

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,774 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eyeries - 8 days (with a car) - What to See/Do?

Even taking the fastest route, via Cork, I would expect that to take 5 hours. I think you can add 15-20 minutes to that again if you want to use the Mitchelstown-Mallow route. I wouldn't worry about sheep until you get to the very last part of the journey.

As mentioned, the route via Cork is faster, provided you avoid coming past the city between 8am and 10am and 4:30pm and 6:30pm. That said, it's mostly dull motorway driving and the more direct route may be more appealing.

Also allow that you will need to stop for food, so you can add a bit more onto that 5 hours.

The Rock of Cashel is the best known sight on your selected route. Cahir Castle is possibly the best preserved castle in Ireland and probably worth a look. Just off the Mitchelstown-Mallow road is Doneraile Court. There's lovely parkland around the great house and if you have a nice day, it's a lovely spot to get out for a walk.

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eyeries - 8 days (with a car) - What to See/Do?

Eyeries is a terrific little village and very picturesque. It is, however, just about in the middle of nowhere. When you say that the cottage is ten minutes away is it ten minutes north toward Ardgroom or ten minutes south toward Castletownebere? If it's north the closest services like restaurants and food stores will probably be Kenmare which is close to an hour's drive. If it's south you may be better off going to Castletowne. There is at least one good food store there and a few good restaurants.

As far as things that your companions might like to do I'd recommend a day trip to Glengarriff and Garnish Island. You'd head down the R571 and then east on the R572. It's not a hard drive and would be a good day out if the weather is nice.

Also, and you'll have to find local knowledge on this, you might enjoy seeing St. Kilcatherine's cemetery. There are some very nice old stones there.

Other than that, the Ring of Beara can provide days worth of entertainment just by driving around and stopping to look at things. Beara is not infested by tour buses and the scenery is spectacular.

Have a great trip. I'll be there for two weeks in just about two weeks from now!

Washington State...
Level Contributor
5 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eyeries - 8 days (with a car) - What to See/Do?

Thank you blackgreen for the timeline and the suggestion for Doneraile Court!

Paulkris - I am not entirely sure which direction the cottage actually is but after your post I am hoping it's on the Castletownbere side!! Glengarriff and Garnish Island are actually on my list...and pretty much the entire Beara Peninsula as well! I have added St. Kilcatherine's cemetery because my mom really likes that sort of thing.

Thank you both!!! I appreciate your time :)

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
111 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eyeries - 8 days (with a car) - What to See/Do?

We have been staying in Kenmare for the last 11 days & have spent the better part of two days on the Beara. For Kenmare itself & add an extra 15 minutes in the summer, if the Bank Holiday weekend's traffic is an indication. Kenmare itself is worth spending a day & is a popular destination which can get quite congested during the busy season.

On our way back from Cashel the other day, there was a traffic warning that the N73 was closed, so we did not get off at Mitchelstown as we planned, so I can't comment on that portion of your possible route. The N72 through Fermoy is a mess in town because of roadworks that look like they will last a while. The traffic bogged down in Mallow as well -- schools were letting out & so was one of the larger employers, so we were just unlucky. After we were clear of Mallow, the N72 was fine. You can take the R570 left/south at Barraduff toward Glenfesk. -- the road is very tight at the north end, there is a very tight bend in the middle, and a narrow bridge on the Glenfesk end. It's easy to miss the turn at Barraduff, too -- not hard to turn around if you realize you've passed it, but it's also easy enough to cruise down to the roundabout for the N22 heading back east toward the R569 for Kenmare (a nice road, by the way). All that said, getting around Cork on the N22 has its challenges, ands we experienced some heavy traffic during the late morning.

As for the Beara, you'll be in a great position to do the coast road between Ardgroom and Eyries, which has magnificent views around every turn. Kilcatherine churchyard is a good stop. There are markets in Eyeries and Ardgroom for the basics. If you are inclined to shop for food in Kenmare, the are nice Super Valu & Lidl supermarkets in the same shopping center. However, I'd recommend the local butchers who will do nice package deals for €20 that include a whole chicken, chops , ground beef, and more (Roger O'Sullivan's next to the tourist office on the main square, for example).

On the food, theme, Josie's Lakeview near Lauragh is a great stop for lunch and the view. Derreen Gardens are nearby & well worth a wander. Also close by is the stone circle on the road to Gleninchaquin Park -- another beautiful landscape. Anyway, enjoy the Beara, a superlative place.

Edited: 14 May 2014, 09:05
Washington State...
Level Contributor
5 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eyeries - 8 days (with a car) - What to See/Do?

Wow...thank you for the reality check TMac29494...in all the planning for this trip never once did I account for traffic or roadwork!!

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
111 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eyeries - 8 days (with a car) - What to See/Do?

Running -- bring your patience, no matter what route you take. I really don't know what the issue was on the N73 or how long the work in Fermoy will continue. Closer to the time of your trip you may want to check County Cork's website for updates on road projects, diversions, etc. And while the Beara is tour bus free, camper vans can take up plenty of road space. If you enjoy driving, you'll find Beara to be great fun, though.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
70 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eyeries - 8 days (with a car) - What to See/Do?

Allihes would be a great walking trip from Eyeries - it's about a 30km round trip. You could also drive of course. I'm not sure about the designated walking routes. But the old copper mines in Allihies are worth a look and there's a copper mine museum opened up in the village now. Some great pubs there as well. And lovely beaches if the weather's good. You can always go over to Dursey island via the cable car - always a bit of an adventure!

Ontario, California
Level Contributor
22 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eyeries - 8 days (with a car) - What to See/Do?

In two weeks, we shall be in Eskadawer, so very nearby. I would suggest Three Castle Head (tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g211930-d2…) and the only cable car in Ireland at Dursey Island.

Mostly, I would suggest just doing a search here and across the web for exciting things geared towards your interest. Like here--> http://www.bearatourism.com/

9. Re: Eyeries - 8 days (with a car) - What to See/Do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Cork