We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blarney Castle or Cahir Castle?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Blarney Castle or Cahir Castle?

Driving from Kilkenny to Cork and know that I definitely want to stop at the Rock of Cashel on the way. Was also thinking that I'd like to visit a castle and am looking for opinion on whether we should stop at Blarney or Cahir?

Blarney looks like it has lovely grounds, but is perhaps just marketed as a top castle with the famous stone. Cahir looks like it well restored and perhaps less crowded.

Thinking it would be better not to push through both and have the time to walk around Cork in the afternoon/evening since it will be our only evening there. In case it matters, we will likely have seen Kilkenny Castle the day prior.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,514 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Blarney Castle or Cahir Castle?

Allison, if you come to Blarney (and I hope you do), I will meet you after your Blarney tour, guide you to Cork city, get you free parking, give you a guided walking tour of our beautiful city (you know the bits that gardn198's uncle missed) AND buy you a pint in one of Corks many traditional pubs.

How's that for a welcome on the mat ;-))

Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Blarney Castle or Cahir Castle?

Haha, so sorry, to be honest my uncle truly can be an "a**" :-P it was probably harsher wording than what I intended, despite that was how he phrased it. Basically meant that cork compared to say, dingle or Galway, may not be as much of an example of the stereotypical Irish town that tourists expect to see when they visit.

I'm visiting in October and because I only have 11 days, id rather use my time to see places that are unique to the country as opposed to more developed cities like Dublin, who are still beautiful and cultural of course but less of a culture clash. I live in LA and I'm surrounded by cars and people and advertisements all day, when I travel I want to see stuff as far from that as possible. Now if I had more time to spare of course I would visit those cities, but they're less of a priority. No intention to offend though! I'm sure cork is a thousand times more beautiful than anywhere in the la vicinity! :-)

Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Blarney Castle or Cahir Castle?

Haha, so sorry, to be honest my uncle truly can be an "a**" :-P it was probably harsher wording than what I intended, despite that was how he phrased it. Basically meant that cork compared to say, dingle or Galway, may not be as much of an example of the stereotypical Irish town that tourists expect to see when they visit.

I'm visiting in October and because I only have 11 days, id rather use my time to see places that are unique to the country as opposed to more developed cities like Dublin, who are still beautiful and cultural of course but less of a culture clash. I live in LA and I'm surrounded by cars and people and advertisements all day, when I travel I want to see stuff as far from that as possible. Now if I had more time to spare of course I would visit those cities, but they're less of a priority. No intention to offend though! I'm sure cork is a thousand times more beautiful than anywhere in the la vicinity! :-)

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,514 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Blarney Castle or Cahir Castle?

<oops> and <eeek> Ok ;-(

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,466 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Blarney Castle or Cahir Castle?

either will be lovely....not sure what the uncle was seeing in cork city as it is certainly not an industrial town....also not sure why he thinks it is a short visit to blarney castle....the grounds on the castle are so beautiful and worth the time, as is blarney woollen mills....as on another topic, I've stated you can easily spend 2+ hours there, or more if you want to soak it up....

if, I could only do one, I think it'd be cahir, but either will be good for a first time visitor.....

16. Re: Blarney Castle or Cahir Castle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Cork