We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garreyvoe Hotel

Which Cork hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Garreyvoe Hotel

My husband and I are staying at the Garryvoe Hotel Oct 8 - 10th. We are from Canada and considering we have such a short stay there, can anyone reccommend fun things to do and what to avoid. We will have a car at our disposal. We are both in mid 40's and enjoy good live music and a good pint. Thanks all for your input.

Gibraltar
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Garreyvoe Hotel

You could drive into Midleton and visit the Jameson Heritage Centre, where you will learn all about whisky making. For live music a visit to Wallis's pub (in the middle of main street) is worth a visit. Finin's Restaurant is a reccomendation for food.

Stephen Pearce (famous potter) has a pottery in Shanagarry, its not far at all from Garryvoe.

Ballycotton is a beautiful village to visit, also very close to Garryvoe - if you like fish go to Spanish Point restaurant for a meal - highly reccommended. Some fabulous cliff walks around there too. Here you should find some good night life too.

Ballymaloe House is also not far from Garryvoe and is worth a stop by - they sell some great goodies in the shop there.

Enjoy.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Garreyvoe Hotel

Lastag from Gibraltar is very knowledgable !!!

I agree with all that was said. DEFINITELY do the beautilful cliff walk at Ballycotton. It is narrow but very safe and DON'T forget the camera as the views are stunning. After about one hour walking there is this fantastic headland where you can sit and smooch or just admire the fantastic views. You can then walk back the path you walked out on or continue along towards a road way which will take you back to Ballycotton. This is quite a long walk so be prepared.

In Ballymaloe they have this little shop where the sell all kinds of kitchen gadgets and other gifts. But at the back of the shop is a great little cafe called the 'cafe at the back of the shop' or similar where you can enjoy great morning coffee or have lunch. Really nice. Be prepared to que as it's very popular but should not be missed.

The Bayview hotel in Ballycotton should also be visited. It's situated overlooking the ocean and serves bar food. It also has a great dining room but personally I feel it's a bit pricey. However if it's a special occasion I would book it. I believe it's a sister hotel of the Garryvoe hotel.

A very nice place for lunch or evening dinner in Midleton is called the Farm Gate. You could try it for morning coffee or lunch and make a decision on Dinner. It's very popular.

The little town of Ardmore is also very nice, (it's a summer beach town), it has round tower with a lot of history attached to it. A nice craft shop and it too has a nice cliff walk.

You will also be within easy reach of Fota Wildlife Park. The gardens are free to visit, there is a charge for the Wildlife park. The gardens are beautiful. Not sure if Fota house is open to the public now, I think it may be.

Was the Stephen Pearce Pottery shop mentioned yet.? It's only outside of garryvoe about 1-2 miles and on the way to Ballycotton. Stephen Pearse is a very famous irish potter and I do believe he is now 'into' glassware. His shop is very nice and they serve nice coffee and cakes there too.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Garreyvoe Hotel

Yep, Stephen Pearce was already mentioned !!

Gibraltar
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Garreyvoe Hotel

I second th Farm Gate as a restaurant suggestion in Midleton - really nice food!!

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
353 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Garreyvoe Hotel

Local Restaurants in Midleton to try are Raymonds, Fire & Ice and O' Donovans, but the latter is really for a treat as it is expensive.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
246 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Garreyvoe Hotel

Dont know if you are interested in film... if so the annual Cork Film Festival takes place in Cork City from 8th to 15th October. Great selection of international films. Check out www.corkfilmfest.org

7. Re: Garreyvoe Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 23:17
Get answers to your questions about Cork