We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need hotel advice please

Which Cork hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
Need hotel advice please

We (my husband and I) will be in Cork City, from Canada, for four nights or so, beginning 1 October.

We will be on foot - needing to get to Cornmarket Street during the day, so we need a convenient hotel.

Other considerations - we like to sleep well (will we need earplugs - I have read in other reviews and replies about some hotels in the City) and we earn Canadian money, which means we'd like the best value for our hard-earned not-quite-useful-in-Europe money. :-)

Jury's Inn had been suggested, but the reviews worry me. Others we read that looked reasonable seem to be: Hotel Isaacs Cork

Imperial Hotel

Gresham Metropole Hotel

Any and all thoughts would be deeply appreciated!

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need hotel advice please

Have heard good reports about the Clarion hotel. check out www.clarionhotelcorkcity.com

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,392 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need hotel advice please

PLSV, you will need earplugs in all of the 4 hotels you mentioned. They are all city centre and ALL are located on very busy streets.

Imperial Hotel is on the South Mall, - traffic 24x7, but they may have rooms at the back so ask.

Gresham Metropole straddles both MacCurtain Street and St Patricks Quay, both very busy streets.

Isaacs is on MacCurtain Street, and may have quiet rooms at the back.

Jurys Inn Straddles 3 streets !!!!! Anderson Quay, Albert Street and Lower Oliver Plunkett Street.

Just bring the ear plugs with you

Dougalman mentioned the Clarion. If your budge springs to it, book it, it is without doubt the best city centre hotel in Cork City at the moment. There will still be noise issues, but it's a fantastic location and a beautiful hotel, the foyer alone does it for me, I'd sleep there if I were allowed.

All the hotels you mentioned are walking distance of Cornmarket Street, known locally as the Coal Quay and pronounced Coal Kay.

Cornmarket Street brisk walking times from Hotels:

Imperial - 10 mins

Clarion - 15 mins

Gresham Metropole - 10 mins

Isaacs - 10mins

Jurys Inn - 15 mins

If you want a nice quiet sleep try Fernroyd House a small B&B off Western Road. It's about 10-15 mins walk to city centre and only another few mins to Cornmarket Street. Only disadvantage with Fernroyd is that there is no bar or restaurant, it's a B&B, but a good one. See reviews.

As for eating out. Please mail me at brynoadvisor@yahoo.ie and I'll send u my recommend list of eating places, which includes all details.

Ottawa, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need hotel advice please

Thanks, you two, for your excellent thoughts!

I did forget to mention that we are TOTALLY open to a B&B, and usually prefer them over hotels. So - if there are options other than the one mentioned, which we definitely will check out today, please let us know!

Patty

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,392 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need hotel advice please

Garnish House on Western Road gets great reviews

Crawford House and Carbery House in the same area. Never stayed there but regularly pass them and they look super. Garnish in particular gets very good reviews.

All have websites where you can have a closer look. They are in the same area as Fernroyd house which was already mentioned.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,467 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need hotel advice please

PLSV, i have stayed in the victoria hotel numerous times and i love it...i have never had a problem with the noise either....it is located on patrick street and you can walk to tons of places from there....

the owners, the kings, mom monica, and sons paul and eamon are wonderful wonderful people....it has the comfort of home and the food in their restaurant is excellant....also i love dropping into the pub "the vic".....

you can find them at www.the victoriahotel.com ......their rates are 40-50 pp during the week, and 40-90 weekends.....

if you contact them just tell them elaine from texas sends her love....i promise this is one hotel where, if you are friendly and outgoing, you will leave some friends behind and they will remember you on your next visit....

good luck....

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,392 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need hotel advice please

Elaine from Texas, correct me if I am wrong, but have the King family you mentioned not moved away from the business?

If I am incorrect please correct me on that one.

As for the noise levels, I can't understand how the Vic wouldn't be noisy as it straddles two streets at least St.Patrick Street and Cook Street or Marlboro, not certain which. However I can only go by what Elaine says. I visited the hotel a few months ago and the foyer is very well presented as is the bar. A friend of mine from Dublin who stayed there last week says that it is fine just be careful with the room you are allocated. Some of them have been well re furbished while those that have not yet been are in a very 'creaky' state.

I would be very interested in hearing more feedback re this hotel as I would like to recommend it but I don't have a lot to go on.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
246 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need hotel advice please

I would recommend Isaccs on McCurtain Street. Very convenient for walking to most locations around the city and less than 10 mins walk from Cork Train Station.

I have stayed there a couple of times and havent been bothered by noise . Alot of the rooms are to the side and the back. Check out their website but also venere.com etc for better rates. Enjoy!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,467 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need hotel advice please

bryno, if the kings have sold i am not aware of it...oh that would be awful...i adored them all....

i looked on their webpage and it still says paul and eammon king but maybe they just haven't changed the page yet....that would explain why a single room that i paid $50 for is now over $100.....

i have a friend who has a webpage "cork-guide"....i will contact him and see if the kings have sold out.....will let you know....

geeeeez! first my wonderful cregg castle, then kenny's bookstore, and now possibly my victoria hotel....i am getting disheartened....boohoooooooo.....

Ottawa, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Need hotel advice please

Thanks, everyone, for the great homework I now have -- to locate the website urls and begin to search for a hotel or a B&B.

Just to clarify - we are not totally weird about noise - but I was taken with so many of the comments on the hotels mentioning noise. I imagine a city is a city, and all cities have some noise, unless Cork has more than others... we ought to be fine.

I will let you know how it goes, as I research the sleeping places!

Best,

Patty

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,392 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need hotel advice please

Patty,

When if you want us to comment on your accommodation 'short list' come back here.

Unlike you I am 'weird' about noise. If I am woken in the middle of a sleep, I find it almost impossible to get back to slumberland again, and it makes me VERY grouchy. I always travel with my earplugs and as a backup have nice calming music on my iPod which helps.

New Cork City (!) is so like New York City now, i.e. it never sleeps. It used to a few years ago, but as soon as people are out of nappies (diapers) now they are into a car. I do believe the next generation of Irish will be born with wheels not feet.

Get answers to your questions about Cork