We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My daughter is coming to UCC for 10 weeks

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
My daughter is coming to UCC for 10 weeks

My 19 yr old daughter will be studying at UCC for the fall semester. She leaves CIncinnati next week for Cork. I have "motherly questions"... is Cork safe,what do college girls wear at UCC (trendy or not) how rainy is it, and is the UCC womens rowing team good?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,528 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My daughter is coming to UCC for 10 weeks

I already answered this on your other post. Or maybe you have two daughters ;-)

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: My daughter is coming to UCC for 10 weeks

Thanks for the prompt answer. What about the weather .. is it rainy,much? What sort of jacket or coat should she pack?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,528 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My daughter is coming to UCC for 10 weeks

Yesterday rained for a lot of the day - it was DISMAL.

Today it is like mid summer with Sunshine and very pleasantly warm.

The southern half of this country which includes Cork is well known for it's copious rainfall, but your daughter may be lucky during her trip and it might stay dry. We have had a very dry summer, so we are 'due' a good wetting !!!!

She will not experience snow during her stay here as it is a rare occurrence. If we do get snow in November this year, I will eat my mouse mat (and send you the photos !)

A decent mac in a sac is perfect. If she intends doing a lot of walking then she should also purchase a light pair of waterproof trousers too, they will be invaluable. Particularly if her accommodation is more than 15 mins walk from UCC.

A fleece jacket will be required end of October and November. It's 15' C today and at night can go down to 6C

If she wants to purchase the rain gear here I recommend either Mahers Outdoor Shop at Emmet Place or Union Chandlery /Hillwalkers on Penrose Wharf (both less than 5 mins walk from each other)

She should get a Mac in a sac and waterproof trousers there for 50euro.

Still know nothing about the rowiing team. If you find out, let me know.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,528 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My daughter is coming to UCC for 10 weeks

I would like to qualify my previous statement re the eating of the mouse mat.

I will eat a little piece of my Mouse mat if it snows here in November. ;-)

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,528 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My daughter is coming to UCC for 10 weeks

In my previous posts I neglected to say that my own daughter will be starting in UCC this year too. She is 19 also. What classes is yours taking, maybe they will meet up !!!!

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: My daughter is coming to UCC for 10 weeks

My daughter is an International Sudies and Human rights major with hopes of going to law school. She is a sophmore in college. She is hoping to take some global politics and philosophy type of classes I think. She is on a women's rowing team at her home university and has called the captain of the UCC team just to let someone know that she is coming and is interested in rowing for UCC ! That's neat that your daugher will be going to college there,too ! My daughter knows NOONE there and she makes friends easily. So,, if you can think of ways for them to meet I would be open to passing info along. If your daughter has "face book" , my daughter has a page on that. About that mac in a sac- I'll tell her!

Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
27 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My daughter is coming to UCC for 10 weeks

Here's another mother of a daughter (from Ohio) who's studied away at UCC. . . . . . .

When she flew over, it seemed that the ENTIRE plane was US students off to Ireland!

I wonder if your daughter is going w/ the Butler University program?

If your daughter's going for the fall term, she'll have an advantage. My daughter went spring term--clubs, groups, etc. all seemed to have formed by then. She made few Irish friends, but many from US, Germany, and Austria.

She did a lot of her food shopping at the English Market.

Safety didn't seem to be a problem.

She stayed at the something-or-other Holiday Village. I was there, it seemed safe, clean, and not inconvenient.

She did a number of day trips away from Cork, loved every day she spent out, and particularly enjoyed Belfast.

Weather. . . she arrived Jan 1, and the weather wasn't exactly north-east Ohio, but it was cold much of the time 'til April.

If you go to visit. . . you'll miss the BEST of Cork if you don't stay at the Garnish House!

Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
27 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My daughter is coming to UCC for 10 weeks

Just noticed your name, UD mother--would that be UD as in Dayton Flyers?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,528 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My daughter is coming to UCC for 10 weeks

I don't know 'face book' but my daughter is on BeBo (as is 99.9999%) of the Irish internet population under 20!!!!

I will ask her if she would like to make contact (I don't want to pre-empt anything in case she thinks I'm trying to schedule her life - which she does !)

I'll get back to you shortly.

She tells me the the societies and clubs have not started forming yet, so your daughter will be able to get into a few of them when she gets here without feeling left out. I believe they will not start forming for another week or two.

My daughter is not taking any of the subjects yours is, by the way.

Weather today in Cork- fantastic, sun sun sun, so maybe hold off on the mac in a sac for the moment - ha ha.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My daughter is coming to UCC for 10 weeks

Safety in Cork is like any city. Keep your wits about you and use taxis at night. It is fairly safe there though.

The quality of the UCC womens team varies each year. if your daughter can row she will have no problem getting on the squad. Gary Neff was the coach but I dont know if he is coaching them this year. If there is no womens crew (highly unlikely) there is also Cork boat club in the Blackrock area of the city and they have a few women your daughters age rowing the coming year. UCCRC is your best bet first though. James Donovan is the captain mobile 086 810 8194