We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of 4; Moving to Cork

South Carolina, USA
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Family of 4; Moving to Cork

My company has ask me to accept a long term (3-6 yrs) assignment to Cork, Ireland. We are from the U.S. but have lived overseas (Asia and Middle East) for the past 6 years. If I accept the assignment, we will come on a 2 week "look-see" trip in a few weeks and probably mobilize in about a month or so. I am mainly looking for information on two items:

1. I have two daughters (ages 12 & 16) who are very intelligent and both plan to go to universities when they finish high school (second level). What are the best second level schools in Cork? Also, what are the chances of getting them enrolled? I hear that this can be a problem.

2. What are the best places to live? My place of work is somewhere between Douglas and Midleton.

Many Thanks,

Barry

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,416 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family of 4; Moving to Cork

Barry,

I really feel you need professional advice on this one as the answers you need to your questions could be very subjective. I am certain your company would pay for a professional relocator. I know they exist but don't know of any off hand.

Moving here in a month or so will be difficult school-wise as the classes will have been well established. For your older daughter there may be the option of a number of what we call 'grind schools' which might be suitable for her. These are privately run fee paying schools where the emphasis is getting the student into 3rd level. Without a doubt the results from these schools are very impressive.

I don't know how easy/difficult it will be for you to get your daughters into 'best second level schools', but I imagine that many schools have difficulty keeping their numbers under control at the moment.

As for where to live, WELL - there's a minefield and completely subjective. You would really have to see the areas you mentioned and see what infrastructure is there before you decide. You need a professional !

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,484 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family of 4; Moving to Cork

Barry - Can I just add to what Bryno has said....

1. When you are coming over for a look-see, get the Principals of the schools your daughters are already attending to write references for you. This always helps.

2. Depending on when your elder daughter turned 16, she might consider looking for a place in Transition Year in a Good School. You are more likely to get a place on this year (Transition Year is a Vocational Year - the girls in that year are usually 15-16).

3. Depending on when your younger daughter turned 12, you might consider placing her in a primary school - Over here children enter second level at age 12-13. This would might solve some issues there too - although you would need to start applying for secondary schools fairly quickly.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,416 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family of 4; Moving to Cork

BeanAlainn, HI (long time no see) very sensible ideas, particularly regarding the references and the transition year class - a great way around the 'difficult to get into school' issue.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,416 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family of 4; Moving to Cork

If the school provides a worthwhile transition year it would be a great way to break the 16 year old into 'secondary' here, as it's not as stresful as the standard years (1,2,5)and exam years (3 and 6)

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,484 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family of 4; Moving to Cork

Hi Bryno. Life is good: the sun is shining :O) My daughter is on Bebo too!!

Barry - another thing that struck me (after I had collected a supposedly ill daughter from secondary school and before I collected a well child from primary!!) was that the subjects your daughters, in particular the elder lady, have studied up till now will have a bearing on the schools they attend.

For example: Foreign Languages. Some schools do French, others German, some do both if you are lucky. The History and Geography Syllabi that your daughters have studied will in all likelihood be vastly different. Most children here study Irish - it is compulsary for those who have attended school here since age 10, unless there are exceptional circumstances.

Certainly there should be minimal differences in Maths and Science (Biology, Physics and Chemistry at senior cycle level).

However, you may need to look at whether it would be best for your daughters to do an International Baccalaureat - depending on where they wish to attend University (Irish State Examinations would be best if they intend to study here).

Unfortunately, in the case of your elder daughter - I would work backwards. Investigate WHERE she would like to attend University, then look at the entry criteria of the location where she would like to attend and then finally tailor her second level education to those criteria.

Life is never straightforward with kids :o)

South Carolina, USA
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Family of 4; Moving to Cork

BeanAlainn and Bryno... thanks for the information. My company will pay for a real estate agent but I have found in the past that they are not necessarily knowledgable on the best schools. I suspect that we will find a school first and then try and find accomodations in the area close to the school. I joined an Irish yahoo group and was recommended to St. Alyousious (sp?) and Schoil Mhuire. I believe that one of these is a fee paying school. They are both difficult to get into but I have contacted the deputy principal of both. They both said that they would see what they could do. I will talk to my eldest daughter about the transition year. I very much like that idea but she may have reservations as it will delay her college entrance by a year. I also got a couple of recommendations on Midleton schools as well but have not contacted them. I know that the recommendations will be subjective but that is what these forums are all about. At this point, a subjective recommendation is better than a shot in the dark. Of course, I will follow up with the schools once I get there. However, I know I will not be given time to visit all of the schools in the area. I have never heard the term "grind" school. Is that the term given to all "fee paying" schools? Does it refer to the amount of work given the students?

Again, thanks for your input.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,484 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family of 4; Moving to Cork

This may be of help - although the publishing date may be a little late

www.whsmith.co.uk/whs/go.asp…

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family of 4; Moving to Cork

Bruce College(www.brucecollege.ie) is a good fee paying grind school. The thing to note at this school is that all the emphasis is on achademic work, there are no sports in the school.

Douglas is a really nice part of cork to live in. You couldnt really go far wrong there. Is is very close to the main road to Middleton also so you would have little trouble getting to work.

Cork
Level Contributor
768 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family of 4; Moving to Cork

A friend of mine runs a relocation business here in Cork. His telephone number is +353 87 1386841 & his name is Ben. He's from Cork but lived in the US for many years so he may be able to help you.

Cork
Level Contributor
768 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family of 4; Moving to Cork

PS Just found this:

1-800-755-9484 USA Toll Free

Get answers to your questions about Cork