We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Is Ballyshannon far from Mount Charles?

New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
22 reviews
Help! Is Ballyshannon far from Mount Charles?

Hello!

Please help! My family of 5 will be traveling to Ireland in August. We land in Dublin and will stay the night there. I was hoping to go to Galway and then "quickly" make our way to Donegal to possibly check out where my ancestors live/lived. Since I can't find ANY accomadations in Galway, I thought maybe just go directly to Donegal. But I can't figure out how far Ballyshannon (where I'd like to see) is from Mount Charles (another place I'd like to see.) We have to be back in Dublin to fly out on Wednesday, August 8.

ANY HELP WOULD BE SO APPRECIATED!

Thank you!

Ann

17 replies to this topic
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
16,291 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Help! Is Ballyshannon far from Mount Charles?

Google says it is 29.2 kilometres.

County Donegal...
Level Contributor
3,289 posts
171 reviews
2. Re: Help! Is Ballyshannon far from Mount Charles?

An easy 20 - 25 minute drive on good road on the Donegal to Sligo/Galway route. I live in Ballyshannon & i'm wondering if there is a particular reason why you want to visit here?

New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Help! Is Ballyshannon far from Mount Charles?

Hello!

Thank you for your quick response. I would like to visit Ballyshannon because the Dorrian Hotel is there and I believe I may have some relations there. I'm a Dorrian.

County Donegal...
Level Contributor
3,289 posts
171 reviews
4. Re: Help! Is Ballyshannon far from Mount Charles?

Well you could be lucky as Benny is a nice character & the family also own the Thatch pub. There are a few Dorrian families that I know of, in fact there was a Dorrian in the same class as me at school but he's no relation to the hotel Dorrians

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,538 posts
63 reviews
5. Re: Help! Is Ballyshannon far from Mount Charles?

Ann, do you mean to say that all of Galway is booked out for your dates in August (when)? There is also no way to just "quickly" make your way up to Ballyshannon...

If there is really no accommodation in Galway you're better off to go to Ballyshannon from Dublin, it's an easy drive. fuchsia gave you the distance to Mountcharles it's about half an hour's drive from Ballyshannon. I was going to suggest staying at The Forge just outside Ballyshannon but unfortunately it looks like it's closed. Have a look at the Sandhouse Hotel at Rossnowlagh (www.sandhouse.ie/) or google accommodation in Ballyshannon.

County Donegal...
Level Contributor
3,289 posts
171 reviews
6. Re: Help! Is Ballyshannon far from Mount Charles?

The Forge is open but only as a B & B , the restaurant there is closed

New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
22 reviews
7. Re: Help! Is Ballyshannon far from Mount Charles?

I have to check to see if the Dorrian's who own the hotel are the same Dorrians to whom I am related!

I'm so excited!

New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
22 reviews
8. Re: Help! Is Ballyshannon far from Mount Charles?

Hello Clauds,

Yes, I've checked Hotels in Galway for my dates and for 5 people, and I keep getting "nothing available for those dates." Please excuse my ignorance with regard to the distance and the travel time. I truly have no idea. I've been Googling everything, and am still finding it rather difficult to comprehend. Thankfully, you nice people have given me a clearer picture!

I wanted to stop in Galway on the way to Donegal because I've read that it was a great place to see. My sons are 23,21 and 18. We have never been to Ireland and I wanted them to get a taste of as many things as possible in such a short time.

County Donegal...
Level Contributor
3,289 posts
171 reviews
9. Re: Help! Is Ballyshannon far from Mount Charles?

Ann

Have you already checked out your family tree or is it something that you intend to do when here?

If you intend to check parochial records, Ballyshannon is not only located in 2 parishes but is also split between 2 dioceses. The Dorrian family that own the hotel are in Kilbarron parish so St Patrick's is there parochial church. I also know Dorrians that come from Creevy/Rossnowlagh so you could have alot more relatives here than you realize.

Edited: 19 May 2018, 23:11
Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,538 posts
63 reviews
10. Re: Help! Is Ballyshannon far from Mount Charles?

That's an awful pity about Galway, Ann, all of you would enjoy that lovely town. You say you checked hotels, how about B&Bs?

Thanks for the info about The Forge, Gaildorfblues. Friends and I spent a lovely weekend there some years ago and the food was really good.

Reply to: Help! Is Ballyshannon far from Mount Charles?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about County Donegal
Recent Conversations