We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to go in donegal

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
where to go in donegal

Myself and my girlfriend are looking to go to donegal but not sure which part to go to. Never realised how big donegal actually was and im from ireland!!!

Anyways, we want to go for 3 nights but not really sure where to go. we were told that north west is the best place to go for beaches etc. is Dunfanaghy nice?

We would also like somwhere with a bit of atmosphere as well

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

The Art House
Art Galleries, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Art Museums
Slieve League
Geologic Formations, Lookouts
Glenveagh National Park
National Parks, Gardens
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
128 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to go in donegal

When are you thinking of going, mid-week or weekend?

Whats your priorities, scenery, relaxation, beaches, activity, etc....

Its a big county for sure so you would need to give us a bit more before we could recommend an itinerary.

Enjoy the planning too though, it makes the break all the more enjoyable..

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to go in donegal

we are going over a weekend - all day friday, saturday, sunday and come home monday.

I would like a bit of everything to be honest but if i had to choose it would be nice beaches and some watersports.

Is dunfanaghy nice?

I was thinking of going to donegal town/bay for the friday. saturday get up and make are way up the west coast to dunfanaghy. is this a good idea?

co. donegal
Level Contributor
334 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to go in donegal

Dont know if your interested but there is a massive surf festival on in Bundoran the last weekend in june, so it will all be happening there.

Bangor, Northern...
Level Contributor
586 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to go in donegal

We love Dunfanaghy - if you like lovely beach walks ( good surfing at Marble hill ) , good pubs- molly's , carrigua etc, good food ( farmers market on saturday mornings ) .

if the weathers bad you could go to the spa at the Shandon hotel , or browse the art galleries here and in Creeslough .

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,907 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to go in donegal

Dunfanaghy is a good choice for a 3 day stay might be there myself in Sept for the Jazz/Blues fest.

Irish in...
Level Contributor
309 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to go in donegal

If you can fit in a trip to Tory Island it is a magical place.

7. Re: where to go in donegal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2011, 05:16