We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should I visit with family from ages 2 - 18

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Where should I visit with family from ages 2 - 18

Hi,

would appreciate any info on where best to visit in Donegal for a two week 'staycation'? Coming up from Belfast and not sure what villages, preferably coastal, have a few bars/shops and a restaurant maybe.

The party is 10 people including 2 small kids so we need to rent a house as opposed to an apartment/B&B, and really just worried about ending up somewhere too isolated for everyone to enjoy.

Not looking for NYC here obviously, just not anywhere with a corner shop and one pub. Have tried finding cottages around Bundoran/Ballyshannon but there don't seem to be many. Any info on other towns and villages would be much appreciated, thanks.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,350 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should I visit with family from ages 2 - 18

Have a look for properties around Portnoo and also Ardara... I had a quick google for you and came up with this -

donegalcottageholidays.com/towns/holiday-cot…

Hope this helps.

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should I visit with family from ages 2 - 18

Kerrykeel might a good option for you - there is a good mini-market with a butchers too. There are also a couple of pubs in the village, and a good restaurant called Ripples which overlooks the Mulroy Bay. Kerrykeel is a great base as there are lots of walks, great scenery, and options to go to the beautiful beaches at Portsalon, Rathmullan, or explore the deserted options along the Fanad peninsula. Lots of cottages for rent too. Hope you have a great time.

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should I visit with family from ages 2 - 18

Kerrykeel might a good option for you - there is a good mini-market with a butchers too. There are also a couple of pubs in the village, and a good restaurant called Ripples which overlooks the Mulroy Bay. Kerrykeel is a great base as there are lots of walks, great scenery, and options to go to the beautiful beaches at Portsalon, Rathmullan, or explore the deserted options along the Fanad peninsula. Lots of cottages for rent too. Hope you have a great time.

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should I visit with family from ages 2 - 18

Thank you kindly folks! That helps a lot.

Letterkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
30 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should I visit with family from ages 2 - 18

have a look through this maps.google.com/maps/ms… its a goolge map with things to do in donegal that was done up by me witht he help of members of board.ie.

As far as villages go, buncranna / glenties / ardara / bunbeg-derrybeg / Milford the town listed above are good for pubs / restaurants, but are either on of are a short drive to the seaside / beach ;)

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where should I visit with family from ages 2 - 18

Portsalon, as mentioned by BMB45 might be worh considering as a place to stay, if only because of the excellent beach which might a good outlet for the 2-18 year olds. There's also a pub or two in the area, plus a small restaurant.

Rathmullan, a bit further south on Lough Swilly is also considering - it too has a reasonable beach, a few pubs and a range of places to eat. It's probably a bit more upmarket than either Kerrykeel or Portsalon.

UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where should I visit with family from ages 2 - 18

hi nmccf

anywhere around the coast or within driving distance, there are plenty of places to rent for 10 persons, have a look at the following below

letterkennyaccommodation.net/selfcatering.php

or contact letterkenny tourist info centre on +353 (0)74 9121160

letterkennyaccommodation.net/article-letterk…

and ask for a brochure on self catering

also try:

www.welcomecottages.com/donegal

cottages4you.co.uk/County-Donegal

www.donegalcottageholidays.com/

www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/county-donegal/s/

see other Donegal related info on' forum' re places to visit ....

Glenveagh National Park, Glebe gallery, Foxhalls, Grianan an Ailigh, Buncrana Beach, Dunfanaghy and Glencolmcille!

ENJOY!

Leamington Spa...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where should I visit with family from ages 2 - 18

What about the Inishowen peninsula? Great scenery, loads to do, beaches galore.

Look at Ballyliffin, Clonmany, Culdaff for accomodation.

Small enough to explore easily but also handy for Derry, Letterkenny if you want to get to town for the day.

Donegal Cottage Holidays site gives a little thumbnail sketch of all the towns and villages.

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where should I visit with family from ages 2 - 18

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. I'll post an update once we get somewhere booked.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
296 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where should I visit with family from ages 2 - 18

There are some really gorgeous rental properties on TripAdvisor rentals, complete with reviews so you get an insight into the property from people who have actually stayed in them, rather than just the owners There's a link on the left hand side of this page. A good range from modern to lovely traditional cottages.