We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

why I love Donegal...

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
why I love Donegal...

I'm just back from a lovely relaxing few days in Rossbeg, Donegal and thought I would post a few comments..

My trip highlights:

Finding (eventually!!!) Doon Fort and hiring a rowing boat to go into the lake to see and visit the island. Beautiful, tranquil and pretty amazing.... My other half has been visiting the area since he was a child and never knew it existed. That's what I love about Donegal - something new every time. (often not signposted!!)

Kilclooney dolmen - a superb example. But please, visitors, do not decide to spend 30 minutes eating your lunch right beside a historic site so that others can't get pictures... ;)

Rossbeg bay - superbly safe for kayaking and lovely views....

Glengesh pass, Sliabh Liag cliffs, ok, the scenery in general

A drink in Nancy's pub in Ardara - even if it didn't have any pure orange (just pure, not freshly squeezed or anything!! Then again, who needs mixers?!). Still a cracking wee pub (as we say in the north)

Being waved at/acknowledged by drivers and passers-by.....99% of people are really friendly and polite..it reminds me of my childhood...

Walking for about an hour and a half around Dawros Point/Head over lovely grassland, seeing beautiful flora and fauna - Irish hares, herons, cormorants, damsel flies, butterflies, six spotted burnets,.... a beautiful old ruined cottage and not another person in sight...

The lows......

The other half getting caught speeding - miles (NI) versus kilometres (RoI)and not paying attention on the edge of town....:(

The most winding little roads (literally one car at a time) with speed limits of 80km!! If we got to about 40 we felt we couldn't slow down in time if we met someone coming in the opposite direction!

Conclusion - even in the height of summer, you can still find peace, tranquility and stunning scenery in Ireland...:)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: why I love Donegal...

Preaching to the converted here ponaire but our visitors haven't seen glossy photo's or read glowing reports

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: why I love Donegal...

Lovely, lovely, lovely!

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: why I love Donegal...

Ponaire

Your "Why I love Donegal" makes me realise "Why I love Trip Advisor" - thanks for sharing. I always love your informative, comprehensive posts.

Between this, and the last lengthy post you had on Donegal, you really have me eager to revisit - but wont get to visit until next year at this stage.

Sorry 'bout himself with the speeding. I always find it hard to adjust when I cross over to NI on the motorway and some of these days, I'm going to get caught too!

Edited: 08 August 2011, 18:52
Victoria
Level Contributor
69 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: why I love Donegal...

I have visited Donegal town briefly and vowed to come back and explore the County. Are there any particular towns that you could recommend using as a good base to explore the area - we will stay for a week? I am currently looking at an area about half way from Donegal to Killybegs...but wonder if that is not quite villagey enough to get the true feel? I should add that my partner is in a wheelchair - so we will not be able to do a lot of the wonderful outdoor activities that others can enjoy.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: why I love Donegal...

Hi aussieRos, I'd recommend Ardara as a base for exploring the Slieve League peninsula and also some of the Gaeltacht towns along the northwest coast. For northern Donegal, I'd select another base farther north - it's also possible to use Derry as a base.

Much of Donegal's beauty can be seen from inside the car - the Glengesh pass near Ardara is a breathtaking drive. And I've heard that the Slieve League cliffs can be viewed from the carpark.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: why I love Donegal...

Ponaire - you expressed it all for me. Donegal is so special.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: why I love Donegal...

Ponaire

One thing I really look forward to and which always "does it for me" is the smell of turf smoke - maybe it's a hang-over from glorious days as a child running wild (as an escapee from Dublin) around my grandparent's farm in Donegal with the omnipresent smell of burning peat as dinner was being cooked and bread baked on the open fire.

I'm heading there shortly for a few days and hoping that a few sods of turf on the fire will rekindle those images of long gone summers and maybe frame a few new memories - who knows?

D.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: why I love Donegal...

Hi Domhnall

Funny you should say that....when we were down, we lit a turf fire every evening!! The smell outside was amazing:)

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
296 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: why I love Donegal...

Loved your report ponaire. Can't wait to get there on Friday!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
296 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: why I love Donegal...

Loved your report ponaire. Can't wait to get there on Friday!