We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A huge day

sydney
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
A huge day

We are driving on our first day from Belfast, via the Antrim coast, Derry, Ramelton, then Sliigo overnight. This will be our HUGE driving day. From THEN ON it is 'easy does it' around the rest of the country The Antrim coast and Ramelton are MUST DO's on that first day....any tips? (visiting family history sites) Sadly, we are only in Ireland for a week and everything is booked

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A huge day

Yikes!! That is an insane day and isnt going to allow you to see much. But its booked so to see how it can be done, a couple of questions

1. Are you overnighting in belfast the night before or are you (sharp intake of breath in case the second is the case) arriving into belfast on a flight that day and if so which airport and what time?

2. What time of year? (hoping may or june for maximum daylight)

3. Are you willing to see some of the antrim/causeway coastal route but not drive the entire route? (think this will help)

Edited: 18 November 2012, 11:14
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,601 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A huge day

So you are going to rush some of the very best so you can no doubt take your time for the half mile stretch of the Cliffs of Moher and then Dingle which takes 4 hours on the coach tour? A day trip round the ring of Kerry and then what?

Sorry but without knowing how long you have putting what should be the first 3 days of a road trip into the first day makes little sense especially with family links to look at..

Who talked you into booking the whole of Ireland in a week?? Even Tourism Ireland says 10 days.

OK rant over Where are you booked there will be a logistical approach even based on my uncle who drives Road trains in Aus but 100 to 200miles(motorway) a day max over here.

Edited: 18 November 2012, 13:24
Canada
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A huge day

Any reservation can be changed unless you have paid in full (that would be foolish in my opinion)

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,099 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A huge day

Maybe reading a report such as this will help clarify the need to go with a 'more is less' philosophy in Ireland.

The trip here involved 17 full days. Also, bear in mind it took place in May with lots of daylight hours:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k54707…

Rarely do I remember any visitors on here wishing they had included more places in their trip; far more common to hear people wish they had stayed in fewer places and taken things more handily.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,631 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A huge day

Other than opening the door to questions about why you're planning it that way, I don't know what kind of tips can be offered. You have stops in mind for family history? So between that and just the driving, there's your day if you can't change it.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A huge day

Correct me if I am wrong, you are doing this whistlestop trip to re-trace your families history. It seems to me that you will learn absolutely nothing unless you make an effort to familiarise yourselves with the surroundings where they come from and at least spend a couple of nights in the place.

KC, MO
Level Contributor
194 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A huge day

I'm going to Ireland to see some family history sites and am planning 4 days in that location mid-trip.

sydney
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A huge day

Thanks...we did it! ...and in January :)....all good

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A huge day

Glad you survived! Go on then, tell us what you managed to squeeze into that day..

10. Re: A huge day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2014, 05:15