We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick way to learn a taste of the Irish language

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
115 posts
315 reviews
Save Topic
Quick way to learn a taste of the Irish language

We will be in Glencolumbkille in July. Is there any quick fun way to get a taste of the Irish language- just a few hours. Of course we know we won't learn much- just a taste. Also we have a ten year old who would get a kick out of learning a few words.

Thank you

Jpm

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,308 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick way to learn a taste of the Irish language

See if anything here helps:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k70775…

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick way to learn a taste of the Irish language

This might help - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CLOgaVRoKQ

VA
Level Contributor
66 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick way to learn a taste of the Irish language

If you pop into Oideas Gael, people would be happy to say something. If you just sit on the benches outside the building you would likely catch an earful of Irish.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick way to learn a taste of the Irish language

An interesting aspect of the Irish language is to check out place names, so that as you drive along places called kil-something refer to a church - Kilkenny is Canice's Church. Dun suggests a fort, trá signifies a beach and so on. And quite often the Irish version of a place name does not mean anything like the English translation.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick way to learn a taste of the Irish language

JPM

Your son can learn a new Irish vocabulary word every day. Go to talkirish.com and sign up for a new ( free) Irish vocab word to be sent via email each day. I've learned a lot that way

And was delighted when I could read a lot of signs And I enjoy the flash cards, and the matching games to quiz myself

You ( he) will also be able to click and hear the word spoken... Thsi site starts you off with easy words-- animals, colors family etc.

Ellen

Edited: 14 April 2014, 20:44
6. Re: Quick way to learn a taste of the Irish language

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2015, 05:15