We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Donegal Hiking base

Germany
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Donegal Hiking base

Planning a week in Donegal in October for hill walking/hiking. Advise appreciated which town is the most central and suitable as home base. Donegal Town seems good for restaurants/pubs but might require too much driving for the northern Donegal hills. Would prefer staying in one place for the entire stay. Thanks!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
15,128 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Donegal Hiking base

Greetings! Have you looked at Letterkenny as a base? Some areas for hiking are within an hour of Letterkenny. I have used hostels in the past, here is one located in Letterkenny, Apple Hostel, info@letterkennyhostel.com. There are a number of grocery shops in Letterkenny, for food.

I have only hiked Kilcar & Carrick area, I would recommend Slieve League Lodge, near the Cliffs. Wifi reception can be a bit sketchy. Are you traveling solo? Besides the wind, it can be very rural & isolated out there.

Hope this helps

Germany
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Donegal Hiking base

Thanks. We will have a look on Letterkenny. We are travelling as a party of two and usually use B&B's as accomodation. Don't worry about the wind. We are used to the Irish weather and countryside!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
15,128 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Donegal Hiking base

IMHO, I have found, some B&B's a bit too restricting, regarding breakfast times. I am an early riser, and do not want to wait for 8AM, or even, 9, for breakfast, before I can start my day. Tripadvisor shows 23 B&B's, in Kilkenny area.

Hope this helps

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
296 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Donegal Hiking base

Ardara is a lovely village in south Donegal and there seems to me to be enough trails in that area to keep you occupied for a week:

www.irishtrails.ie/trails.aspx…

There are lovely rental properties available in the area, plus B&Bs and hotels. There is also very good night life in Ardara - Nancy's and the Corner House for Guinness and traditional music, a wonderful restaurant at the Woodhill, and other eateries - Sheila's, Charlie's, the Nesbitt Arms etc etc.

5. Re: Donegal Hiking base

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2015, 06:17