We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with locations to stay in County Donegal please

Flint, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Need help with locations to stay in County Donegal please

Hi,

This is a bit of a long shot, but maybe someone can help me.

I'm looking for somewhere to stay in County Donegal, I have no preference as to the specific whereabouts, I'll probably find some sort of self-catering accommodation. I'm just not sure of where to go, as in a town/village etc. I'd quite like to be close to the coast, or a lake, although not essential. Somewhere reasonably rural, but not so rural that you'd have trouble finding a town with some people if you wanted to in the evening. I'd be going to somewhere where I can go walking, maybe go cycling, have picnics etc.

I'm not sure if this is all possible, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could recommend an area with even some of these attributes. Thanks!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,692 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with locations to stay in County Donegal please

Will you have a car? What time of the year do you want to visit?

co. donegal
Level Contributor
334 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with locations to stay in County Donegal please

I live in the seaside village of culdaff in the inishowen peninsula and it's got all you want. Half a mile from lovely beeches 2 pubs one hotel two shops, small but everything you need. And there is plenty of self catering accommodation in and around it. It's approx 35 mins from Derry and an hour from letterkenny

Flint, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with locations to stay in County Donegal please

Yes, I will have a car, and I'm not completely sure of when I'll go just yet, but possibly August.

Stuartyoneknobi - Thank you, I'll have a look, that's very helpful.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with locations to stay in County Donegal please

We stayed one night at Rossmore Manor in Tullyearl, just outside Donegal. LOVED every second of it and would have stayed several more nights if time had only permitted. (http://www.rossmoremanor.com/). The "room" we stayed in was enormous and appropriately termed "The Hall". It was huge by any standards, certainly by most European room standards, and was completely fit for any Lord or Lady visiting the area.

The manor and our room particularly overlooks Donegal Bay, which never looks the same twice since it completely emptys itself during low tide.

There's plenty to do and see in this area and our hosts were a perfect balance of friendly and helpful, but not too much so.

Good luck and safe travels!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
14,639 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with locations to stay in County Donegal please

Greetings! Are you looking for something comfortable, nothing too fussy, or, all the comforts of home? Budget in euros. Keshgrammy

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
39 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with locations to stay in County Donegal please

We stayed at a B&B in Dunlewey and loved it. It was an amazing location!

7. Re: Need help with locations to stay in County Donegal please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2015, 05:16