We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting there

iowa
Level Contributor
81 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Getting there

Daughter coming in on a Tuesday in Oct she needs to get to Burcrana Any clues how to get up there. What are the ages you can rent cars and if so is there a place up there to drop it off. She's 22 .Flying into Shannon.So what are the roads like. I know drive on left side.

NYNY
Level Contributor
51 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting there

She's going to have a problem driving if she's never done it before. The roads are not great and it's scary driving on the left for the first time. I know she can get a bus as far as Letterkenny. I don't know about further north. Really, driving is not a good idea and it will cost a LOT, a real lot if you want an automatic transmission.

Try here.. http://www.buseireann.ie/site/home/

London, UK
Level Contributor
479 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting there

Please, driving in Ireland is not scary at all! The drivers are not aggressive and tend to follow the rules, and the roads are all well-signposted. There isn't even that much traffic except for rush-hour Dublin. The roads are slightly narrower than in North America, but then so are the cars. Getting used to the other side of the road should only take a few hours.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting there

Irish posters may correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess you may rent a car at 25 in Ireland. Follow the 1st poster's advice: you may know how to drive on the left, she doesn't.

And as about "The roads are slightly narrower than in North America", this is quite an understatement ! Think of your driveway, if it just large enough (by N. Amer. standars) for one car. This is how "wide" are Irish roads, plus they are curvy - there is very rarely such a thing as a straight road there. And locals drive at hair rising velocity, while you will be pretty happy if you can reach, and maintain, a 40m/h speed ...

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,837 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting there

Thank you, SurfaceTravel!!!

I don't exactly agree that signposting in Ireland is as good as you say but it could be worse (could it....?)

We hired a car in Los Angeles two years ago. It was one of the scariest experiences ever! Driving in Ireland will be a doddle compared to that.

NYNY
Level Contributor
51 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting there

I guess it's what you are used to and in the U.S. we are not used to any round abouts and driving on the left, I can tell you it takes a lot more than a few hours, you are actually better off when there are other cars around because you can follow them. As per the signs, I do find them pretty good but I was looking for the signs while my husband was driving, if I was alone I don't know. (If he was alone he would still be spinning around near Shannon. )We've been there at least 10 times and the only drawback is the driving. The cars and trucks in Ireland are getting bigger and I guess a lot of the roads aren't. It can be harrowing. The subject is mute if you have to be 25 to rent a car anyhow.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,132 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting there

But driving in Los Angelses (or Donegal) would be a lot different than driving in Iowe, I would think.

I have no problem at all driving in Ireland. But the Donegal roads are not nearly in the same condition as many in the rest of Ireland, they are much worse.

If I had a 22 year-old daughter making that trip I'd probably recommend that she arrive by public transport and figure out the driving once she got settled. Even though I can't imagine what it would take via public transport from Shannon to Buncrana. Any way to change that flight to Dublin where there would be better options?

There is bus service to Letterkenny and then a taxi to Buncrana. Might be some local bus service between the two as well. If she is moving there to take a job, wouldn't she have a local contact that might be able to offer some specifics?

London, UK
Level Contributor
479 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting there

Have you North American posters never driven a car to a cottage out in the country in upstate New York, the Eastern Townships of Québec, or New England? I have personally driven on country roads in these rural areas that are just about as narrow as, and occasionally narrower than, the country roads of Ireland. Furthermore, you can come across actual gravel roads in the country in NA on the way to the cottage! Does that stop you from driving there for the weekend?

If you only feel confident enough to drive on wide multi-laned straight-line roads, then absolutely, I'll agree with the majority and suggest that you do not take the risk of driving in Ireland... or the UK, or Europe outside of Germany, the Caribbean, South-East Asia, most of South America, most of Africa, or most of the rest of the world.

Europeans switch from left to right all the time, and everyone had to do it a first time at some point.

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting there

Well, we're all different Shilio, or whoever. The roads are getting better over there. The ones to watch out for in particular are the R country roads. Sometimes you'll see 100kmh limits, where I personally think it should be less at times. The signs are not good, again imo. One thing that was mentioned by family yesterday...When you're on the roundabouts it can be confusing to some that a sign like for instance < Galway is actually after the road you should take. Remember that. Again, and again, and again, don't panic! Just go around again and give it another shot.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,837 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting there

Let's hear it for the little roads in Ireland, the ones you can get lost on (happened to me during the week, it was just great!).

Hooray, little roads, hooray!

NYNY
Level Contributor
51 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting there

Take it easy Surface Travel, the question was about how a 22 year old girl would do driving for the first time in Ireland. Maybe because you do have to switch from left hand to right hand driving more often you find it easy, everyone doesn't. If it were such a breeze maybe the credit cards would cover the Collision Damage Waivers like they do in most countries, but they won't in Ireland.