We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
615 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Hi all,

Still planning.

We've decided that we'll be visiting northwestern Ireland driving down from the Giant's Causeway area going thru Londonderry (or Derry), and stopping for a brief visit there enroute.

We're planning to stay two nights in the Donegal area (I know it's not enough, but this is most likely our only trip to Ireland) before heading on south to stay near Galway City for three nights.

My question is: since I'd like to visit Slieve League, do you think we should locate ourselves near Donegal Town (I've found a lovely place just north by Loughe Eske) or, to minimize car hours, should we have our two night stay down closer to Sligo?

As always I so look forward to your advice.

NancyM

bucks co.
Level Contributor
371 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Location

What else are you interested in seeing in Donegal? That may give us a better gauge to offer suggestioons. Donegal town to Sligo is not far at all, and d-town is the most lgical for the cliffs at SL

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
615 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location

What else to see ...

Mostly we are not big famous spot seers. I love the countryside and the people. Taking it easy. I love old ruins and empty churches.

I'm a Yeats fan so that's why I thought we'd stop in Sligo. Sounds like there's not a ton of difference between the trip to Galway city from either DonegalTown or Sligo. Would we be exhausted if we took a turn to the west and went by THE Cleggan/ Clifden area?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
615 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location

PS

And my adult kids will like a good pub:)

bucks co.
Level Contributor
371 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Location

Maybe one night in Letterkenny and one night in D=town. From Derry to Letterkenny is not that long maybe half hour or so. I think there are five driving tours from Letterkenny I will see if I still have the routes somewhere. You can go northe to Malin or west to the coast on M56 (Mt Errigal, beaches Poison Glen and Glenv. National Park. This is an Irish speaking district, so that may be something to experience, the people are friendly andnice homey pubs. On the way to Donegal Town you could do it a number of ways you could take the coastal route by the cliffs or go south through the finn valley and then to the coast, many options. Once in D town it is a short hop to Sligo. Maybe some food fo thought

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location

You didn't say where you are starting your journey from to bring you through Derry and on to Co. Donegal. Certainly Letterkenny is central to north Donegal but is not really a tourist destination and how much time do you really have for scenic driving.

The coastal route to Donegal town brings you through Dungloe and Ardara with a turn off for Slieve League and Killybegs however the scenery is not very spectacular compared to Connemara.

Alternatively stay on the A5 main road from Derry to Strabane and follow the route to Lifford and Ballybofey and on into Donegal town for an overnight, which will give you options to explore the Killybegs and Slieve League in the evening or next morning. The drive to Sligo takes around an hour from Donegal town unless you want to make detours to Belleek etc.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
615 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Location

We're staying at a B&B in Bushmills for two nights, then driving to Donegal Town. Two nights there and then driving to Galway City for three nights.

I really appreciate advice on the best but not toooo much longer scenic drive as we'd like to drive a bit and get out of the van a bit. We'd heard that Donegal was spectacular and thought we'd see some of the area.

Thanks so much, Cavan, you always seem to have helpful advice. I'm always open to new suggestions. That's why I've rerouted our plans several times already:)

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Location

Thanks for the compliment, good idea about staying in Donegal town and you won't be disapointed with the drive from Ballybofey that takes you through the scenic Barnesmore Gap overlooking Lough Eske(Google:~Barnsmore Gap). You can then take the evening drive to Killybegs and Slieve League after you find your overnight accomodation. There is a great fish n'chip shop in Killybegs beside the quay. Enjoy.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Location

mench, I just came across this interesting webpage created by someone else who made the same journey from Bushmills - Derry - Donegal town. Think that you will find it interesting for picking out places to visit: ~ http://www.dossan.com/ireland/eire_pix.html

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
615 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Location

Cavan,

I'm still trying to plan the day driving from Giants Causeway through Derry and down ultimately to our B&B near Killybegs.

Having looked carefully at all your comments, I have a couple of questions.

If I am trying to keep from having tooo many long car days, would you advise that we sort of take the direct route, thru Barnesmore Pass, south from Derry instead of driving over on the coastal road which I am sure will be very slow.

Then, because I think you are the one who said that Connemara is more spectacular, we would plan a longer car day for our travel south from the Donegal Town area to Galway -- say taking a coast route over thru, near Cliffden?

Hope you are joyful.

Mench

Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Location

We did a daytrip from Donegal Town to the Giants Causeway and back with no problem at all, so you could easily drive to Donegal, with plenty of time to stop in Derry. I would highly recommend staying at Ardeevin Guest House, located along Lough Eske. It is my favorite B&B in Ireland. You can read my review on TA hotel section. We also did a daytrip to Slieve League from there. You can easily drive to Galway City from Donegal Town in one day. Its too bad you won't have more time in Donegal.

Get answers to your questions about Donegal Town