We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To ambitious for a day of travel??

Which Donegal Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
To ambitious for a day of travel??

I'm going to Ireland for a week and will be staying near boyle in county roscommon for a couple of days before touring the country with friends. They wanted to do the ring of kerry, but as they also wanted to see dublin, I was thinking of seeing donegal as opposed to the ring of kerry. We would be leaving boyle and driving up past sligo town out to the slieve leauge, glencolmbkille, ardare and following the coast road until finally ending in portsalon for the night (sorry that I butchered the spelling of all these towns!). I was thinking that we could then head down to see glenveagh national park before continuing down through the north to dublin. Is this do-able or are we biting off way too much for it to be an enjoyable day trip??

thank you in advance!!

eamonn

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To ambitious for a day of travel??

Gilleb -

Your itineraries make me feel dizzy ...

Say - does your question ''Is this do-able or are we biting off way too much for it to be an enjoyable day trip??'' refer to your 1st itinerary, or your 2nd ?

At 1st sight, I'd say there is enough for 3 days minimum, and more realistically 4, in these 2 ''daytrips'' ....

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To ambitious for a day of travel??

I applaud your choice of Donegal. All the places you consider visiting are wonderful and you won't regret it. But you will probably find too much to fit into two days. If you could make more time, even an extra day, you could take it easy and stop off and really see some of these places. Glencolmcille alone is a lovely place, which you really need to walk around for an hour visiting the megalithic sites and the pilgrim stations. Glenveigh also is amazing. The sort of place you want to spend time at and enjoy (take mosquito repellant). The scenery around these places is lovely and you will find it far less populated with tourists than Kerry.

wichita,ks
Destination Expert
for Wichita
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To ambitious for a day of travel??

Eamonn,------You have a great itinerary ,just give yourself 3-4 days to do it,you will not regret it.

Boston
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To ambitious for a day of travel??

Thanks everybody. Clearly, I have too much on my plate for one night in Donegal. Unfortunately, I can only spend one day exploring Donegal (and maybe a bit more of the next morning) before heading to Dublin. Any suggested itineraries? Thank you!

Boston
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To ambitious for a day of travel??

Maybe drive straight from Boyle to Donegal town and then tour the road from Donegal town to glencolumbkille and finally make our way back to Ardara or Glenties for the night?

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To ambitious for a day of travel??

That sounds reasonable, if you set off early in the morning. You could experience Glencolmcille. Take the time to walk around. Ardara or Glenties would both be good places to stop. The Loughros Peninsula and Glengesh pass at Ardara have beautiful scenery. So I would recommend Ardara. You can also visit the woollen mills and see the Donegal tweed woven by hand at Ardara. So you would get a good taste of Donegal and maybe come back again for a longer visit.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To ambitious for a day of travel??

Too bad you are going to totally miss out Slieve League .... you will have to go back to Ireland, Gilleb!!!

dte
Sligo, Ireland
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: To ambitious for a day of travel??

Hi Eamon

Your itinerary is possible. Its just over a three hour drive from Boyle to Portsalon. The difficulty is the amount of lovely places you will probably want to stop on the way. As your spending a few days in Boyle before you start travelling you may want to do a half day tripfrom there before you head to donegal. There is a lot to see between Boyle and Donegal town, but you could do this before your longer journey. That way you could get to Donegal town in an hour and three quarters and take your time going from there to Portsalon.

Things to look out for between Boyle and Donegal town are The Megalithic Tombs at Carrowmore, Strandhill, Rosses Point, Glencar Waterfall, Benbulben, Mullaghmore.

Boston
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To ambitious for a day of travel??

Thank you everybody! I think that I'm going to go from boyle and stop in ardare... the last thing I want to do is feel overly rushed when I'm enjoying the countryside (I'll leave that feeling for Dublin). Both of my parents are from Ireland (Dad is from leitrim) so no doubt I will be back again and can take a bit more time then. Now the challenge is to find lodging in Adara or Glenties.

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To ambitious for a day of travel??

Slieve League is unmissable though! We travelled up from Roscommon to Donegal and visited Slieve League then stayed overnight in a B&B near Killybegs. Then over to Dublin the following day. That wasn't rushed or hectic, but felt like we'd seen a lot.

Get answers to your questions about Donegal Town