We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gweedore Co Donegal

Which Donegal Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
13 posts
Save Topic
Gweedore Co Donegal

Just discovered that my family is from Gweedore and I am anxious to pay a visit. I understand it is a big area and think it is from Gweebara Bridge to Derryconnor and Meenlaragh., however I have a fair idea of where to start. (Hope I have correct spellings) I would appreciate if anyone posting on this forum could tell me what time of year is best to visit as I realise the days are beginning to get short and not a lot can be done in the dark! I would like to pay a visit to St Colmcille's church at Brinalack as I believe I have family buried there, would I require permission? I now know why my heart has always belonged in Eire.

N Ireland
Level Contributor
266 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gweedore Co Donegal

The best time to visit is undoubtedly during the summer months. I can't speak about how accessible the church will be but most churches in Ireland are open during daytime anyway. You shouldn't need permission to visit the churchyard. I'm not sure how Gweedore's boundaries are defined but suspect that they may vary depending on who you talk to. The area is within the Donegal Gaeltacht which is an Irish speaking district. Having said that, Engish is increasingly the day to day language of choice for many people there nowadays and practically everyone speaks English, with the exception of perhaps a few elderly people. The area, along with many other places in Donegal, has very strong links with Scotland, and particularly Glasgow, because of emigration. You will be quite at home there as Scottish accents are not uncommon, due to the many families who return to the area with grown up Scottish-born offspring. The last time I stopped to ask for directions in Gweedore both people I encountered had non-local accents, one English and one Scottish! The family of former Scotland, Celtic and Machester Utd footballer, Paddy Crerand, came from Gweedore, and I understand he is still a regular visitor there. The former Celtic and Ireland goalkeeper Packie Bonner, is from Burtonport, or thereabouts, which is just outside the Gweedore area.

I think you might get hooked by the place.

N Ireland
Level Contributor
266 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gweedore Co Donegal

Take a look at the following link as it may help you to trace some ancestors.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~donegal/gweedoreproject.htm

ireland
Level Contributor
132 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gweedore Co Donegal

Danmore,

The Gweedore parish stretches from Crolly Bridge in the south right as far as Meenlaragh. Brinaleck is at Bloody Foreland (I'm not swearing, it is the name of the place).

No problem going into the church or churchyard or graveyard. Anything you want to know just ask some of the locals; if they do not know you will be directed to someone who does.

The best timme now would be in April or May next when the days will be long annd a fair chance of good weather when you can also enjoy the spectacular scenery. If you have the time, go to Meenlaragh pier and take the ferry to Tory island for a day.

You would need a car for getting around in your own time.

Scotland
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gweedore Co Donegal

Thanks for reply, I have already began my plans for next late spring/early summer. Looking forward to walk around CnocFola! Is the pier at Meenlaragh different to the Magheroarty pier? Have also planned to visit Tory and Innisboffin islands, also Aranmore island. In fact will spend at least 3 or 4 weeks in Gweedore and surrounding areas.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gweedore Co Donegal

Hello Danmore

I go to Gweedore twice a year as my mother is from there and my parents got married in the church you mention. There are a lot of Ferrys and McFaddens in the area and in the cemetry.

I have to say, I've just come back from India which was beautiful in parts, but I'm itching to get back to Gweedore again. For me there are certain parts that I think are the most beautiful places in the world.

Here's a list of must sees when you are there. I've been going every year since I was a baby and still love it.

At the cemetry (you don't need permission), get your walking boots on and walk up Bloody Foreland, you will see a slight pathway at the back of the cemetry. If you don't see the path - just start walking, it's not difficult. Take a light pack lunch and enjoy the fantastic panormic views of Gweedore from the peak. Make sure it's a clear day or you won't see anything when you get to the top. The walk will take about 20-30 mins. On your way down, walk down the other side so you reach The Heights (Pub & B&B which is a bit run down now) - you will need a pint! And again, great views of Glassagh & Brinlack from here. PS - Try mass on Sunday, it's in Gaelic, the priest talks really fast so it's not a long one!

Dunlewy - there are 2 churches here which can be seen from the main road and you can get down if you want to see them closer. One is a ruin and one still standing.This place gives me goosepimples whenever I pass, need I say more? Please go here, then pop into AnCuirch for a drink or lunch. It's a really lovely hotel with (professional) local paintings on the walls. If you can afford it, stay here.

Bunbeg/Derrybeg - these 2 villages are right next to each other on the Coast Road. There are 2 good 4 star hotels, The Seaview and The Ostan. The latter is right down on the beach and it's bar has big windows overlooking the beach with a lovely old boat wreck on the sand. This beach was used in a Clannad/U2 video in the 80s. Was on the front of the NME once as well. My favourite beach.

Glenveagh National Park - stunning and a lovely house on the grounds.

Glebe House - if you like art and William Morris wallpaper, it's a must see. There's a lovely sloping lawn and gardens leading down to the lake. The tour is interesting and not too long.

You will need to hire a car when you are there or you'll be stuck. Make sure you do the Coast Road as much as you can. From Falcarragh to Bunbeg, great views all the way.

There's plenty more to see, these are just my personal favourites. All are within 40 min drive from Brinlack. Write back if you want to know more. You will without doubt have a great time. PS - bring a jumper even if you go in July :)

Aurora, IL, USA
Level Contributor
202 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gweedore Co Donegal

Hi,

We are also planning a trip to Gweedore via Donegal Town or Killybegs. Do you know how long a drive this is? Thanks!

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gweedore Co Donegal

Hi there

It takes about 2.5 hours, the roads aren't great.

Let me know if you want to know anything else. I've added a couple of photos if you want to see. I'll try and get more on soon.

Regards

8. Re: Gweedore Co Donegal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 06:23
Get answers to your questions about Donegal Town