We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Airport to Parkgate St Hotel

West Midlands
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bus from Airport to Parkgate St Hotel

I visit Dublin next Wednesday with my OH and I'm looking at my travel options. I'm staying at the BW Ashling on Parkgate Street and arrive at the Airport around 21:00 and obviously need to check in. I'm too tight to take a taxi so I'm looking at my bus or rail options. I notice there doesn't appear to be a railway station at or close to the airport so bus looks like my only option. I see the Airlink 748 takes me to Heuston Station but it's 10 Euros return! Is there a bus stop close by my hotel where I could possibly connect with a service to the airport or is some kind of pass I could buy that would enable me o use the airlink as well as bus/rail/dart for the duration of my 7 day stay.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Airport to Parkgate St Hotel

You are correct - there is no rail link from Dublin Airport. However, you can take the Airlink 748 to Heuston as Parkgate Street and the Ashling are adjacent to the station - about 100 yards away, just over the bridge.

On travel passes, there are a range of passes available but none which appears to include both Airlink and DART. There are some bus only passes which include Airlink and some which include rail and Dublin Bus normal services but exclude Airlink and other special services. For details, check out http://www.dublinbus.ie/fares_and_tickets.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Airport to Parkgate St Hotel

The €10 return fare for the Airlink 748 service is really not a bad deal, especially as it's virtually door to door for you. You could take the ordinary Dublin Bus service (41 or 16a) from Dublin Airport to O'Connell Street and then transfer to the LUAS (tram), getting off at Museum which is adjacent to the Ashling but this will cost you around €4 each way and will take at least twice as long. Dublin is a fairly compact city and most of the popular sights and visitor attractions are in and around the city centre and accessible on foot. There's no integrated travel ticket for all forms of transport so unless you are planning a lot of travel out of the city centre, it would probably be more cost effective for you to just pay as you go.

West Midlands
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Airport to Parkgate St Hotel

Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like I'll be using the 748 after all then! Any advice as to places to get a decent pint and any decent late pubs/bars (preferably not nightclubs, possibly a bit old for that now!), as I've noticed the pubs dont seem to be open until too late even of a weekend.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Airport to Parkgate St Hotel

I am going to suggest that you buy a family ticket for €10. This will cover both you and your OH for the Airlink working out at €5 each to Heuston Station. As it's an expressway service, there are no major stops en-route apart from drop offs in town. That ticket is also valid for the whole day on all Dublin Bus services , it's a pity you are arriving so late, not to be able to avail fully of the ticket!

www.dublinbus.ie/fares_and_tickets/daily.asp

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Airport to Parkgate St Hotel

If you still have a ticket that is valid for the duration of the day on the night you arrive, then you should be able to pick up a bus from beside your hotel and go into town for a pint and a walk round Temple Bar. There are plenty of 25's/25a/66/67/68/ passing by although they will be thinning out at that hour of the night.

the Oliver St John Gogarty in Temple Bar is open late every night.

http://www.gogartys.ie/pub/

Also try The Porter House in Temple Bar

http://www.porterhousebrewco.com/

"The Quays"

www.dublinpubscene.com/thepubs/thequays.html

and "The Auld Dubliner"

www.thesmithgroup.ie/aulddubliner/index.html

A nice little pub near where you are staying is Ryan's on Parkgate St.

http://www.fxb.ie/ryans_index.html

You should check it out for a pint :-)

West Midlands
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from Airport to Parkgate St Hotel

This is brilliant "in the know" info I really appreciate everyone. Keep it coming!

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus from Airport to Parkgate St Hotel

I'm not sure how long you are in Dublin but if you are intending on using the hop on hop off tourist buses and the Airlink then you might like to consider the Freedom of Dublin ticket.

dublinbus.ie/sightseeing/specialoffers.aspx

This allows 3 days use of the tour buses, airlink(747 & 748) services, regular local buses and night buses for 25 euro. It is not bad value considering the HOHO bus is 14euro per day and the airlink is 6euro each way. There is a HOHO bus stop very near your hotel just across the bridge from Heuston Station

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,243 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus from Airport to Parkgate St Hotel

IrishEyes: I think they are here for 7 days.

West Midlands
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus from Airport to Parkgate St Hotel

Yes, we're over for a week if anyone was wondering.

10. Re: Bus from Airport to Parkgate St Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 05:23