We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin to Kinsale, best stop?

san francisco
Level Contributor
91 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin to Kinsale, best stop?

We will be driving to Kinsale after 2 noghts in Dublin, and I am trying to decide on the best stop on the way, Rock of Cashel or a visit to Kilkenny. Does this sound like a reasonable day? Would both stops be too much?

Secondly, after one night in kinsale we will be heading to Kenmare for 2 nights. Any suggestions on the best route and what not to miss on our way there? I was thinking we would spend the morning in Kinsale before we leave.

Thanks for any help!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,048 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin to Kinsale, best stop?

Kilkenney and Cashel on route to Cork would do neither justice but it can be done. The driving time alone would be over 4 hours.

Kinsale to Kenmare is 2 1/2 hours on the N71 plus a trip round the Beara. You could cut across the R586 but to be honest the N71 is a more pleasant drive.

Anchorage, AK
Level Contributor
88 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin to Kinsale, best stop?

Don't miss Mizen Head when you drive from Kinsale to Kenmare! It is WELL worth it! Definitely a major highlight from our trip a few weeks ago!

Co. Sligo, Ireland
Level Contributor
64 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin to Kinsale, best stop?

I agree with Tony2phones, trying to do both would eand up watering down both visits along with a possible panic rush to Kinsale when you find its further than you thought, especially if you get caught up in Cork traffic.

My suggestion preference is Rock Of Cashel, but do not get too carried away, still a long drive to go.

Mizen Head between Kinsale and Kenmare a great suggestion but quite a detour.

Gougane Barra, going Macroom direction then turn off just before Macroom takes you to one of the most beautiful lake valleys in Ireland. You'll want to stay there an hour and walk around,hthere.

You may find time for Mizen Head after then, but that is down to what time you leave Kinsale.

Are you exploring Beara Peninsula from Kenmare? My favourite peninsula in Ireland. Visit Glenchaquinn Park and Uragh stone circles, staggeringly beautiful between lakes, waterfall mountains and more. Then past Glanmore Lake valley to Healy Pass. There's a lot more there to provide a most memorable day out.

san francisco
Level Contributor
91 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin to Kinsale, best stop?

Thanks all for your responses!

As I thought, I will have to choose between Kilkenny and the ROC to make the visit worthwhile. It's just so hard when you want to see it all! I hadn't heard about Mizen Head but will look into it. I have heard wonderful reviews of the Beara Peninsula -do we have enough time to incorporate that in our journey from Kinsale to Kenmare?

Co. Sligo, Ireland
Level Contributor
64 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin to Kinsale, best stop?

You will find Kinsale to Kenmare quite a full day with the stops you'll make on the way. Beara Peninsula deserves a full day and cannot really be experienced with a "quick look" through a windscreen drive. Do you have two nights in Kenmare? If not I am sure that when you are there you wish you had.

Overall, I suggest 2 nights Kenmare over 1 night Kinsale and 1 night Kenmare, if there is a conflict.

If you are considering Ring Of Kerry, I strongly advise dropping that to have a really good day on the Bearra Peninsula.

san francisco
Level Contributor
91 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin to Kinsale, best stop?

Good news! We do have 2 nights in Kenmare and can craft our time any way we want before we head to Dingle for 2 nights. I had thought we might do a day in Killarney Nat'l park and the Gap of Dunloe, and then the ring of Kerry the second day on our way to Dingle. Do you recommend the Beara Peninsula over the Ring of Kerry?

Co. Sligo, Ireland
Level Contributor
64 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin to Kinsale, best stop?

Most, most definately Bearra Peninsula over Ring Of Kerry. Ring of Kerry is better known as it is pushed by the government owned CIE group as they do not like their bus drivers going on Bearra roads, but Bearra roads are excellent by car and no bumper to bumper like on Ring Of Kerry, and actually less potholed roads. Much of Ring of Kerry roads are very potholed with wear and tear.

You'll have plenty of time between Kenmare and Dingle to stop off at Moll's Gap, Lady's View and other Killarney Park sites, even time to take a horse and trap ride on Muckross Estate.

8. Re: Dublin to Kinsale, best stop?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2010, 06:19