We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in January...first part to be exact

Portland, Oregon
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Weather in January...first part to be exact

I love in portland, OR and winters here are fairly mildish...still 30 or so degrees, but mild considering some parts. I've "read" that it can be around that, or even warmer, like 40's? Is it going to be a freezing hellish nightmare? Mind you, I don't like cold weather and don't enjoy tramping around in it for long periods of time. This is my friend's trip, her idea, so not mine before you ask why am I going. She wants to walk to the majority of "sites" in Dublin. I'm agreeable to walking, just not if I'm going to have to bundle up heavily to do it.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in January...first part to be exact

Read this, it will give you some idea what to expect in January

met.ie/climate/…clim-2013-Jan.pdf

Portland, Oregon
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in January...first part to be exact

thanks

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in January...first part to be exact

Portland is further south than Dubin, but both share an ocean climate, so not so different.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,529 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in January...first part to be exact

And, this was how the weather actually unfolded in January, 2013:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k60186…

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,439 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in January...first part to be exact

usually quite cold with every likliehood of freezing at night. sometimes it is just plain wet and cold, and sometimes heavy frosts, but little chance of snow. bring your winter woollies and a rain coat.

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,131 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in January...first part to be exact

Irish people don't usually understand degrees F, we use Celsius only. 30-40F means nothing to people here! That said January is probably the worst time to visit in terms of daylight hours and weather.

Similarly people looking for budget information in $US will mean nothing to people here but it happens all the time

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,976 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in January...first part to be exact

I've seen temperatures as low as -10C (14F) and as high as 16C (60F) in January in the last 5 years.

More normal is probably daytime temperatures of 5C-8C (41F-46F) and night time temperatures of 0C-3C (32F-37F).

Even so, the biggest factor is likely to be where in the country you are. At that time of year, the South-West (Kerry and West Cork) will be a lot warmer than the Midlands, the East Coast or Ulster. The downside of that is that they will also be more prone to rain.

Portland, Oregon
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in January...first part to be exact

I understand that, but I also don't know degrees in C to ask. So when in Rome

Portland, Oregon
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in January...first part to be exact

Will be in Dublin, and I'm used to rain as that is the weather here 85% of the time. Thanks for all info.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,905 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in January...first part to be exact

"I understand that, but I also don't know degrees in C to ask. So when in Rome"

Rome uses Celsius too. :)

FYI, there are a million web sites that will convert things like temperature and currency. Just go to google and type in "farenheit to celcius conversion" or "euro conversion" or anything similar and you'll get what you need.