We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

(Nice), clean, wellocated Dublin Hotel??

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
xiv
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
37 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
(Nice), clean, wellocated Dublin Hotel??

Me an my son (15) are planning 4 days/nights in Dublin late in july.

We have never been there before and know nothing about location, what is good, bad or so on. Have been reading som travel-reviews here now, and am a bit confused of what to choose. I think it would be nice to reach citycenter by feet.

Do any of you Dublin experts have an advice to share with us? Thanks a lot! Xiv (Norway)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
306 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: (Nice), clean, wellocated Dublin Hotel??

You need to look no further than Jurys Inn Christchurch (not Parnell St).

Overlooks Christchurch Cathedral, 50 yards sorry metres lol from Dublin Castle. 10 minute walk to O'Connell Street.

I agree a hotel within walking distance is VITAL when on vacation for the first time here or anywhere else.

Brooks Hotel is nearby & gets great mentions.

Dublin is very expensive so ............choose well. With one or 2 notable exceptions the best part of Dublin to stay in is on the South side of the River Liffey. Best of the shopping etc, enjoy.

regards

John

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
80 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: (Nice), clean, wellocated Dublin Hotel??

I would highly recommend the hotel we stayed at - Buswells. It is very centrally located, but yet is on a quiet street, so there aren't noise problems in the middle of the night. We walked just about everywhere from the hotel and overall, I thought it was quite reasonable priced. Good luck!

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: (Nice), clean, wellocated Dublin Hotel??

Christchurch is not a great area late at night. A number of people have been held up at syringe point by druggies and robbed of their valuables. So, of you're staying in Jury's, take a taxi home there at night.

Other options might include the Conrad on St. Stephen's Green or the Westin on Westmoreland Street. They often do special weekend offers, but I'm not sure whether these would be available in the midst of the high season in July. But sometimes it's worth spending a little extra money just to be in a safer area.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
306 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: (Nice), clean, wellocated Dublin Hotel??

July in Ireland means daylight until 10pm. Christchurch is like anywhere else, be sensible with valuables/cash. Name anywhere in Dublin, at midnight ,which is safe ?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
102 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: (Nice), clean, wellocated Dublin Hotel??

Why not consider Blooms Hotel. This hotel is mere seconds from Temple Bar, 2 minutes walk to the Liffey, same again for Trinity college. You cant really get more central than that. I think its well worth consideration. Also Christchurch at night can be a bit dodgey, speaking from experience.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Des Moines
Level Contributor
504 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: (Nice), clean, wellocated Dublin Hotel??

We just stayed at a nice, clean, well located hotel in Dublin: the Bewley's in Ballsbridge. It is about a 20 min. walk to the city centre or you can take the bus (which stops right outside of the hotel). The hotel is located in an area with a lot of Georgian architecture and we thought it was nice to be close, but not right in, the city centre.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: (Nice), clean, wellocated Dublin Hotel??

Would tend to lean towards Insightful's advice, especially travelling alone with your teenage son. .

I would not stay in Christchurch area with my kids - but that's just my opinion.

We have always stayed in either westin or Westbury with our kids - even in Summer period. These area are close to areas of interest such as Trinity, Grafton Street, museums, good restaurants (or Hard Rock Cafe & TGI Friday if he gets to choose!) etc, and safe.

Buswells, as mentioned, is also a good area, again close to Trinity & so on.

8. Re: (Nice), clean, wellocated Dublin Hotel??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 04:15