We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin Ferry Port Facilities

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
BRISTOL
2 posts
Save Topic
Dublin Ferry Port Facilities

I've never been by Ferry to Dublin before and I have a few questions about Dublin Port.

My wife and I will be visiting friends in Ireland soon, and will be travelling by Ferry from Holyhead. Does anyone know if there are storage facilities, where we can leave our bags to see Dublin for a few hours before making our next part of the journey? Also will it be open 24 hours as our connection will be late at night?

We will also be arriving back around 5am for the 8.45 ferry to Holyhead. Does anyone know if there is a waiting room or coffee shop etc where we can wait for the ferry? And will the transport from the city centre be running this time in the morning to the port or will we have to get a taxi?

Also do you have any souvenir shops at the port as we are bound to forget about presents until we are boarding the boat?

Thanks for any help you can give

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,370 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin Ferry Port Facilities

I wish I could be of more help but here goes...

I don't know about storage at Dublin port (couldn't find a website with relevant information).

Why would you want to be at Dublin port around 5 am for the 8.45 am sailing? Surely 7 am or even 7.30 am would be more than adequate (we'll make that journey next week with our car and I have no intentions of being there before 7 am). There is a coffee shop at the terminal and I would hope it would be open for intending passengers. You should be able to catch a bus in the morning from 6.30 onwards (are there buses out to the Port?) or even earlier but just for comfort I would take a taxi.

The "shop" on board the ferry has some tacky Irish souveniers, do try to get your presents in Dublin.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,370 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin Ferry Port Facilities

I just checked our ticket: check-in times are 30 minutes for both motorists and foot passengers. So why do you want to be there at 5 am?

Dublin
Level Contributor
790 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin Ferry Port Facilities

Hi Bristol and welcome to TA.

There is a bus from the city centre to Dublin Port to catch that departure. See details at www.dublinbus.ie//your_journey/viewer.asp…

re storage/souvenir/coffee facilites. I've only ever driven via there, so I cannot comment on the facilities for a foot passenger. You could email the Dublin Port Authority who run the terminal on behalf of the various shipping companies. Their details are:

http://www.dublinport.ie/contact.html.

If you have gotten the ferry over already, you'll have an idea what's available on board before you return. I know the Irish Ferries Ulyses is very well stocked.

Hope that helps.

BRISTOL
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin Ferry Port Facilities

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I’ll be staying with some friends who will be picking us up and dropping us off at the port to go home. My friend will be heading off on an early journey with work the morning we go home and rather than hire a car for the trip (the buses won’t arrive in time for us to catch the ferry) we though we would take the offer of a lift.

As the lift back will be early, and I presume that everything will be shut until 9am like most cities, we thought we would wait at the port for the ferry to go home. I don’t mind waiting for the ferry, as long as there is some where we can sit and wait etc. The reason I asked for storage facilities is we are getting an early ferry to Dublin so we can spend the day seeing the sites and I didn’t want to drag our bags around with us. I was hoping that they may have had left luggage facilities in the port.

I’ve emailed the port twice, but they haven’t come back to me, so I thought I would post here for some help. I’ve also tried searching on the internet, but there is not a lot information on what the port offers.

Dublin
Level Contributor
790 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin Ferry Port Facilities

Try ringing them on 353 1 8550888 or 353 1 8876000.

Those info type email mailboxes can sometimes go nowhere...

you might also mention that to them

I'd ring them myself on your behalf, but they are closed for the evening...

Normandy Park...
Level Contributor
21 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin Ferry Port Facilities

Did you find out any information on the ferry. We are considering taking the ferry and driving to Liverpool for a day trip. Is this advisable or too much for a day?

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin Ferry Port Facilities

Just from memory, the Dublin Liverpool ferry is a very long trip as it spends several hours going up the Mersey, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't do it as a day trip.

Bristol, if you are going into Dublin you could go to the Bus Station where I am pretty sure they have storage, though I can't find any reference on the web site, maybe someone local knows?

8. Re: Dublin Ferry Port Facilities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 09:21