We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How does this Dublin walking route look?

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
How does this Dublin walking route look?

I'd appreciate your feedback on a tentative walking route I plan to take Sun. morning, Aug. 20, our only day in Dublin at the end of a CIE bus tour. I'm trying to walk a route with the best photo ops, colorful doors, interesting architecture, etc. Any additions or route changes that you'd make? I know it will be a busy day but I'd like to see as much as we can. Thanks for your help.

Leave the Clayton Hotel, Burlington Rd by 8:15 am. Walk 1.4 mi, 29 min. to Trinity College. Walk across the Grand Canal (good photo op of canal on your left and at base of bridge on your right) then right along Fitzwilliam Place via south and west side of 18th and 19th century Fitzwilliam Square; stop for pics of colorful doors like #38 and #46, the most photographed door in Georgian Dublin. Turn left on Baggot St and walk past the the Shelbourne Hotel to the Fusiliers’ Arch at St. Stephen’s Green (the park doesn't open until 9:30). Backtrack a bit and walk up Dawson St past the Mansion House and St Anne’s church. Take a picture of the Molly Malone statue on Suffolk St. Walk around the grounds of Trinity College and tour the Book of Kells from about 9:00-10:30. (buy fast-track tickets online for 10 euro for the 9:30 time slot, vs. 11 euro if we waited in line).

Walk .7 mi, 14 min to EPIC Ireland. Upon leaving Trinity College turn right onto College St., then right on Townsend St., left on Tara St. and right on George’s Quay. Take pics of the 1791 Custom House from across the River Liffey and close up of the sculptures representing Ireland’s rivers. Cross the Talbot Memorial Bridge. Stop for pics at the Famine Memorial. Tour EPIC from about 11-12. (free with CIE voucher; 60 min. guided tour at 11). Eat lunch in the CHQ Building. (Is there another lunch location you'd recommend that would be quick?)

Cross the Sean O’Casey Bridge, just east of EPIC. Take pics of the Jeanie Johnston Tall Ship and harp-shaped Samuel Beckett Bridge in the distance. Walk .2 mi south on R 814 to Pearse St. Turn right and walk .3 mi to the HoHo stop 7A. Get off at stop 10 to tour the Chester Beatty Library/Dublin Castle. Then backtrack .8 miles via Dame Lane, South Great George's St, Exchequer St, Grafton St, Duke St, Dawson St, Molesworth St, and Kildare St and tour the National Museum of Archaeology after it opens at 2.

*Can I cut through to Merrion St from the Museum of Archaeology to catch my next HoHo bus at stop 6 to tour the Kilmainham Gaol at 5:30 or will I need to backtrack to St Stephen's Green N?

Is the museum at the Gaol worth some time to visit (I'd have to do it before our 5:30 tour which is the last one of the day) or should I spend any extra time at the Museum of Archaeology?

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Trinity College Dublin
Trinity College Dublin
10,531 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Grand Canal Hotel
Grand Canal Hotel
1,936 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin
Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin
3,075 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
The Shelbourne Hotel
The Shelbourne Hotel
275 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Mansion House
Mansion House
43 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
St. Anne's Park, Dublin
St. Anne's Park, Dublin
196 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Molly Malone Statue
Molly Malone Statue
1,262 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Suffolk
Suffolk
East Anglia, UK
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
River Liffey
River Liffey
699 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Samuel Beckett Bridge
Samuel Beckett Bridge
559 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Chester Beatty Library
Chester Beatty Library
3,531 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
The Exchequer
The Exchequer
474 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
The Dawson Hotel & Spa
The Dawson Hotel & Spa
786 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
County Kildare
County Kildare
Province of Leinster, Ireland
National Museum of Ireland - Archaeology
National Museum of...
4,849 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
The Merrion Hotel
The Merrion Hotel
3,730 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Kilmainham Gaol
Kilmainham Gaol
22,203 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
St. Stephen's Green
St. Stephen's Green
13,797 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
17 replies to this topic
Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
5,080 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How does this Dublin walking route look?

Will you actually be enjoying any of this?

Edited: 27 July 2017, 07:47
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
650 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How does this Dublin walking route look?

Wow! My first inclination is to ask if you are a robot! That is one hell of a precise itinerary!

In answer to your last questions, no you can't cut through Merrion Street from the museum. And yes, Kilmainham Gaol is well worth spending time there. It's such an emotive place and is deserving of the time it takes to appreciate it. A rushed visit wouldn't do it justice.

As for the rest of your itinerary, you should note that Dublin is a small city. It doesn't take long to cover that route and although your choices are fine, there are still plenty of other nice photo opportunities nearby.

Don't worry about being so careful with your timings. Google Maps isn't the be all and end all. If you wander more casually around Dublin, you'll see the kind of sights you're interested in, and you'll enjoy it more.

Mentioned in this post
The Merrion Hotel
The Merrion Hotel
3,730 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Kilmainham Gaol
Kilmainham Gaol
22,203 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
14,850 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How does this Dublin walking route look?

Are you going to print this out and refer to it as you walk? constantly checking your watch to make sure you are on schedule? Forget it, it will be miserable. Yes, you need an idea of where you want to go, but it isnt a military exercise.

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How does this Dublin walking route look?

This trek is at the end of a CIE tour. 10miles (if I'm reading it correctly). IMOH ....impossible.

Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How does this Dublin walking route look?

I think you are completely missing the whole point about Ireland . It's not a " to the minute " ticklist kind of place , you need to renal a little and allow time for the unexpected - which can often be the best of all!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,903 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How does this Dublin walking route look?

As you walk along Baggot St and onto Merrion Row, just ahead of reaching the Shelbourne Hotel, you can see the gate into a Huguenot Graveyard, dating back to the late seventeenth century:

www.hidden-dublin.com/huguenot/huguenot1.html

https:/…

Incidentally, Huguenot is pronounced HEW-gun-OH in Ireland and not ending in a 'not' as I've heard it said in the US.

As regards your walking itinerary, I wouldn't go past where you have done the tour of Trinity College.

I'd forget about the rest and go back to the Merrion Square area and enjoy the Open Air Art that is only around on Sundays:

http://www.merrionart.com

Alternatively, walk along O'Connell St after your tour of Trinity College and soak up the pre-match, colorful atmosphere of the All-Ireland Gaelic Football Semi Finals!

Mentioned in this post
The Merrion Hotel
The Merrion Hotel
3,730 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
The Shelbourne Hotel
The Shelbourne Hotel
275 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Trinity College Dublin
Trinity College Dublin
10,531 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Merrion Square
Merrion Square
1,038 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Connecticut
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How does this Dublin walking route look?

A 10 mile trek from CIE? i don't see that anywhere on their site or ever heard of this. I think this information is wrong. I've traveled with them before.

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How does this Dublin walking route look?

...A2Was...

The OP is asking for advice re a day in Dublin at the end of her CIE tour of 2 countries. The trek is a route and timeline she has developed to see as much as possible on that day; it has nothing whatsoever to do with CIE.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How does this Dublin walking route look?

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I will enjoy myself and no, I'm not going to be checking my watch constantly to make sure I'm on schedule. I know I need to allow for some unexpected surprises/delays along the way. Uasal: Thanks for the info. on the Huguenot Cemetery and the Merrion Square art show. I plan on checking out O'Connell St after we get off the HoHo bus and start looking for a place for dinner. Sissybiff2: I'm not sure where you got the idea that I'd be walking 10 miles. That would be tiring! If we don't end up hailing a cab to take us back to the hotel, it will be about 5.5 miles. Are cabs easy to find between Temple Bar and St Stephens Green?

Mentioned in this post
Merrion Square
Merrion Square
1,038 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
St. Stephen's Green
St. Stephen's Green
13,797 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,340 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How does this Dublin walking route look?

Micromanaged agendas don't work in Ireland. Its not that sort of place.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Reply to: How does this Dublin walking route look?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted