We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Dublin worth it?

dallas, tx
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
Is Dublin worth it?

Will be arriving in Dublin on a early morning Saturday in May. Should I site see all day Saturday spend the night then site see Dublin Sunday spend the night then leave Monday for my remaining 6 nights into Shannon.

Basically should I spend 1 or 2 nights in Dublin before I continue my journey?

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Des Moines
Level Contributor
509 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Dublin worth it?

If you like cities, Dublin certainly has enough to keep a tourist entertained for two days. And if you feel you've seen and done it all after the first day, you can always hop on a bus or train to explore the nearby countryside. Glendalough or one of the seaside suburbs might make a nice day trip out of the city centre.

Also, keep in mind that you may be tired from the overnight flight and may not get to see and do as much as you want to on the day that you arrive.

Have a great trip!

Stuttgart, Germany
Level Contributor
132 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Dublin worth it?

Dublin is a wonderful city! Granted, I haven´t been there in 7 years, but I am starting to feel like it is getting a bad rap. It has a big city feel, so if you like cities, it´s great!

There is so much to do in Dublin, after living there for a semester, I still left with things I hadn´t done. There are your typical tourist places, like St. Patricks, Christ Church, Dublin Castle. There is of course the Guiness Storehouse (the tour isn´t the brewery, but very interesting.) There are beautiful parks, like St. Stephen´s Green, Merion Square, and Phoenix Park. Of course, Grafton St. is the main shopping street, and worth checking out. The Connelly St. area is also always buzzing, so again, great to see.

Temple Bar is a wonderful, eclectic area, with tons to see and do. Lots of pubs, okay, there are lots of pubs around Dublin as a whole.

Something else that was very interesting, was the Irish Music Hall of Fame located in Dublin 1. If you´re in to music at all, it was very informative and great for an hour or so.

Dublin is a city that is seeped in history as well. Of course, when the English came to Ireland, they had the heaviest influence on the Dublin area, so it is more European than Irish, but an amazing city nonetheless. They also have a new public transportation train, LUAS (which made me very jealous as 7 years ago, Dublin had to be done on foot, bus or taxi.) So, it should be pretty simple to get around now.

I could go on forever about Dublin. Again, go in knowing it is a city, but a wonderful and charming city. If you feel like you´ve had enough after a day though, there are many, many day trips outside of Dublin (Wicklow area, Howth, etc.) that would provide a completely non-city feel.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Dublin worth it?

Arriving in Dublin early morning from the US means that you will be missing your nights sleep due to the time zone changes. So two nights in Dublin in my opinion would not be a bad idea at all before venturing further.

4. Re: Is Dublin worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 00:19