We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

locations for hotels in Dublin

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
locations for hotels in Dublin

Currently I have two "Jurys" hotel rooms booked for Dublin (one room for 2 adults, 2 kids). One is the hotel near Parnell Square off of O'Connell and the second which is 25 Euros cheaper is near the Custom House near River Liffey. (The Christchurch was not available for us on our requested nights.)Is one particualar location better than the other in terms of local restaurants/sights or safety for walking? Unfortunately we will not be visiting the pubs so that is not a factor. Thanks!!!

Dublin
Level Contributor
794 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: locations for hotels in Dublin

Both hotels are fairly close to each other, and each one has it's own advatages:

Custom House Quay - right on the Liffey, in the heart of the financial district (IFSC). Also handy for the DART rail line at Connolly station/Tara st to Greystones, Howth and Malahide. Plus intercity trains to Belfast, Rosslare Europort and Sligo from Connolly. and LUAS tram line out to Tallaght.

Parnell Square - close to GPO plus the 2nd main shopping street in Dublin - Henry street. Slightly closer to the LUAS line, and the bus tours generally start from the Dublin Bus office on O'Connell street which is only a short strole from your hotel.

I would rate the Custom House quay location as queiter, but as long as you are back to either location by 11pm (not sure about the ages of your kids!), safety should not be an issue.

As al ot of tourists visit restaurants in Temple Bar, both hotels are about the same distance from here.

Word of Advice - they recently built a boardwalk along the River Liffey, but this has been attracting a lot of problems which drugs/drink during the daytime, so try to avoid, by staying on the footpaths.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: locations for hotels in Dublin

Excellent information...just what I was looking for...I think we may go with the Custom House since it was cheaper anyways. Thanks so very much!!! See you in Dublin!!!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,897 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: locations for hotels in Dublin

"Word of Advice - they recently built a boardwalk along the River Liffey, but this has been attracting a lot of problems which drugs/drink during the daytime, so try to avoid, by staying on the footpaths."

I noticed this last summer. On an early arrival in Dublin and was walking along the Liffey to shake off the jet lag a bit...it was a nice sunny morning when a boardwalk along the river would have seemed like a good place to be. But the place was crawling with people who looked like they had slept the night there, tons of empty beer cans, and a few sights and odors that the average tourist wouldn't want to encounter lol...

4. Re: locations for hotels in Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 01:16