We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most B&B's look like duplexes here in the States - is it...

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
334 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Most B&B's look like duplexes here in the States - is it...

Topic pretty much says it all. Are the majority of B&B's in Dublin part of 2 or more residences together? Are they noisy because of that building style?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
246 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most B&B's look like duplexes here in the States - is it...

A B&B is usually a smallish private house or sometimes a larger townhouse with anything from 1 to 10 bedrooms. They usually have a small dining room (just for Breakfast) no bar or any other communal facilities. Not sure what a duplex is ... but check out www.townandcountry.ie to see what I mean.

Ireland
Level Contributor
679 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most B&B's look like duplexes here in the States - is it...

Hi there. You have probably been looking at the townhouse/terrace style B&Bs around Gardiner Street? Just a guess....

If so, these houses were probably built in the mid-late 19th Century. I rented an apartment in a building similar to these for a few years, and we NEVER heard noise from next door, or above or below- unless there was a serious party going on upstairs.

I dont think noise should be too much of an issue. One option if you are worried is to look at the numerous B&Bs in the Drumcondra area of Dublin. These have more of a "family home" feel about them, and are in a residential part of the city- they are relatively close to the city centre, and in a safe area.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
334 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most B&B's look like duplexes here in the States - is it...

We have reservations for Acara House which is just north of the City Centre and in a residential area. I had noticed that some B&B's are stand-alone type homes while others appear to be more than one family type dwelling. Duplexes, by the way, are two dwellings that share a common inside wall.

San Jose, USA
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most B&B's look like duplexes here in the States - is it...

We call them Semi-Detached in Ireland. I dont know it, but i checked the place you mentioned on the net, Acara House. That looks to me like its on a terrace, which is several houses attached on a row along a street.

They are not built like American buildings as they are built with proper brick and mortar walls and so should be very sound proof!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
334 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most B&B's look like duplexes here in the States - is it...

karlotronic - that's exactly what I was wondering. Thanks all for your help.