We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We want to move to Ireland, but where?

California
4 posts
Save Topic
We want to move to Ireland, but where?

Ok, so my husband and I are seriously considering moving to Ireland before the year is out. Can anyone tell me what part of Ireland would be ideal for finding jobs and raising three young children? We want to move to an area with a small town feel. We want to get to know the neighbors, the baker and the candlestick maker, so to speak. However, we both need to be close enough to a city to work, as I'm in IT and he's an Architect. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated. Dublin or Galway? By the way, I prefer not to live where it rains often, but I suppose I could get used it for my family's sake!

California
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: We want to move to Ireland, but where?

Oh, and by the way, we are going to visit Ireland for the first time in September, but since we only have 5 days to spend somewhere, we wanted to discover an area where we could potentially move. So again, should we look at Galway or Dublin? Or should we look at both and then decide?

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,851 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We want to move to Ireland, but where?

There are a few interesting articles on the subject in www.escapeartist.com. Assuming that you have researched the subject thoroughly, unfortunately I doubt this, the clue is in your last sentence, and you are mentally prepared for this, I would suggest Dublin. There are lots of interesting suburban villages where you can get to know the baker and candlestick maker yet be close enough to plenty of action if you need it. In Dublin my choices of villages would be Dalkey or Malahide or Enniskerry just over the border in Co. Wicklow. Closer to the city Ranelagh has a village feel to it. Have you ever been to Ireland? If not I suggest that you take a month holiday here first to get a feel for the place. Far away hills are always greener and all that.......

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,747 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We want to move to Ireland, but where?

First things first...

Get your Work Visa.

Once you get your Work Visa, then start applying for Jobs. Your husband should seriously consider contacting the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland - RIAI www.riai.ie/

The Jobs market in Ireland is slowing down, EU Citizens have priority over Non-EU Citizens for jobs.

If you prefer not to live where it rains often, then perhaps Northern Europe is not for you. I'm not being negative, I'm being pragmatic.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
135 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We want to move to Ireland, but where?

Hi there!

Getting a job in your field shouldnt be a problem as long as you will get a work permit. I moved here three years ago from Canada and decided to settle down in Dublin. For me it was a bit easier as I am a holder of a Polish passport as well so I do not require a work permit.

I thought that bigger city will give me more opportunities. It was a good choice in my opinion, plenty of work, nice nightlife, good point to explore the surounding area.

There are the drawbacks as well, first of all the cost of living - renting a place is extremly expensive have a look at www.daft.ie to give you an idea (check different cities in Ireland) also you have mentioned the rain. Well, if you are not fond of rain I wouldnt recommend Ireland as a country where you could settle down! If I am correct in june/july we had 49 days of rainy weather - whic hwas a record of some sort but still, that the Irish weather. Sometimes you get all four seasons the same day, sometimes it is just raining all day long ;-)

I do nto regret my choice, it is a very nice place to live but maybe you should come over here first and stay for a while?

If you need any more info I would be glad to help you out - either post here or send me a PM and I will try to help you guys out!

Good Luck!

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,851 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We want to move to Ireland, but where?

Also have a look at www.immigrant.ie for info on moving to Ireland and www.acme.ie have a stable of web sites offering full time permanent jobs and also temporary jobs available.

Ireland has a temperate weather climate which means that our winters are fairly mild. I would also suggest that you might read some on line newspapers such as www.ireland.com and www.independent.ie for local news.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,082 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We want to move to Ireland, but where?

"Ok, so my husband and I are seriously considering moving to Ireland before the year is out."

OK, put me in the "pragmatic club" as well. Why Ireland? I mean, why anyplace where you've never been? What's drawing you there versus Fiji or Peru? :)

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We want to move to Ireland, but where?

sue i am like a few of the others....it is not easy to get a work permit for u.s. citizens....i tried it about 7 years ago and was told i had to have this work permit to get a job, and then the work permits folks said i had to have a job (sponsor)to get the permit.....several places i applied asked did i have a work permit?....i said no, as that was the truth.....never heard from them again....so that confused me greatly....

it is not like the u.s. where an irish citizen can come and apply for their visa, and then go through all the hoops, stay and work as long as they like, renewing every seven years, i think it is.....and eventually, if they wish, become an american citizen.....where as in ireland it is made very difficult unless you have a specialty that they have difficulty filling these positions with their own citizens....

if you have done all of this, and have your work permit, or you have a right by birth to be an irish citizen, i would say come and visit and see what you like best.....

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,436 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We want to move to Ireland, but where?

Not sure I understand why you would want to move to a country you've never visited and obviously know very little about. If you did, you'd know that Ireland is known as the Emerald Isle because of it's beautiful green fields. That's because it rains a lot. Seriously.

As others have said about the employment situation, priority is given to EU citizens so you may struggle unless you are sponsored and even then any prospective employer would have to prove they couldn't fill that post locally.

I seriously think you need to think long and hard about this.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,463 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We want to move to Ireland, but where?

Oma, I'm not sure why you think it is easier to come and work and stay as long as you like in the US. To get a work permit in the US you need a company to sponsor you to get a H visa and this only lasts as long as the company emplys you. Students can get a J visa to work for a summer. Others have to apply for a green card either by lottery or by being sposored by a family member. The green card option is the only one that leads to becomming a citizen.

CaliSue, I left Ireland to come to CA and am still on my Green Card. I renewed after the ten years instead of applying for citizenship - I have not decided on whether I will become a citizen but since we are hoping to start a family soon I think I will.

As for plcaes in Ireland, I think this would depend on where you find the better paying job - it is expensive to move to and settle in Ireland. Dublin would seem like the best choice (job wise) and I agree that one of the surburban "villages" would be best. A coastal one would be a plus; Dalkey, Blackrock, Howth or Malahide.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: We want to move to Ireland, but where?

tony thanks for the information....

i just know i have a friend from killarney who now resides in illinois, and he has had several jobs over the last 6 years and has not been sent home....he is very close to the time where he can get citizenship and has now married a moline gal, so he really wants to stay....hehehe....also he has followed all of the i.n.s rules, that never hurts....lol...

i just know it is much much easier to get a job in the u.s. if you are irish, than it is to get a job in ireland if you are american.....and they don't say "not until we figure out we can't find an american"....lol...