We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Young female staying in a hostel alone-- bad idea?

USA
6 posts
Save Topic
Young female staying in a hostel alone-- bad idea?

Hello everyone,

I am trying to come up with a place to visit and explore. I am also considering Spain. One day, I would love to go to Russia and Papua New Guinea.

Would it be safe for a young (24 year old, single, white) female to stay in a hostel in Dublin alone? I am considering going either for New Year's, or for St. Patrick's Day 2008.

The only overseas vacation that I have gone on alone, sadly, is Japan. I have gone with groups to Austria, Switzerland, Italy, and Germany. Thus, I am not very experienced in overseas travel.

I have never stayed in a hostel.

I would imagine that I would take guided tours around Dublin and surrounding areas.

About me: from Washington, D.C. Previously lived in New York City. 24 years old.

Should I even think about staying in a hostel in Dublin alone?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Young female staying in a hostel alone-- bad idea?

Most of the hostels in Dublin are not in the best neighbourhoods and are also in the heart of the city centre. I personally, living in Dublin all my life, wouldn't recommend a single woman to stay in a hostel on her own.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Young female staying in a hostel alone-- bad idea?

No-one can guarantee that something bad won't happen to anyone at any time. You could get attacked anywhere, but you don't stop living on the chance of it. You are an adult, you actually have quite a lot of travel experience. There is no reason why you would not stay in a hostel alone in Dublin, using the same common sense that you would use at home.

In the nature of both New Year and Patrick's day there is likely to be crowds and drunkenness, if you are very nervous I would suggest that you come at a rather quieter time, Patrick's day and the festival has great entertainment though.

Maybe you should do a short course on self-defence - I don't mean Japanese sports, I mean how to present yourself and protect yourself on the street.

Dublin has many of the same problems as other cities, but it is not more dangerous and a hostel should be safe. They are good places to meet like-minded people, I doubt you would be exploring on your own! You will find most Irish people very approachable and helpful.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Young female staying in a hostel alone-- bad idea?

Go to the hotel tab at the top of this page, then select 'other accommodation' you will find a good few reviews of hostels.

Dublin,Eire.
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Young female staying in a hostel alone-- bad idea?

its the same anywhere , hostels in dublin are generally very safe but as with any places that you travel you will always attract attention especially as the saying goes in Ireland . A stranger is a friend you havent met before. So it really depends you can find great hostels where you will meet great friends and shares stories and talk through the night and others where you will English stag parties coming in drubk and vomiting everywhere. Thats the chance you take it really depends on the people that are there the same night as you.

You could try one of the B&B / Guesthouse up beside the Irish Life Centre , i think they might be on Gardner street they do some specials and you would get your own room. Which is always a help if you want to keep yourself to yourself.

Dublin,Eire.
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Young female staying in a hostel alone-- bad idea?

Might be better of taking something outside the city maybe along the dartline which means you can get into Dublin City quickly but save abit of money on accommodation.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Young female staying in a hostel alone-- bad idea?

Since you are alone, staying in a Hostel maybe a better option as it will give you easier access to meeting up with other like minded travellers and you (depending on how comfortable you are with striking up converstaions with total strangers) can join them on your outings as most likely you will be wanting to see and do similar things. New Year's will be quiet with regards to tourists and so St Paddy's day may be a better choice if you wish to meet up with others. Also, many attractions will be closed around New Year's. My last trip to Dublin was between Christmas and New Years and we didn't get to see some of the things that I would have liked.

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Young female staying in a hostel alone-- bad idea?

I would reccomend the Globetrotters hostel....stayed there a couple of years ago and it was one of the best out of a 5 week trip. Stay away from the Paddy's Palace hostels...quite scary!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
275 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Young female staying in a hostel alone-- bad idea?

I wouldn't hesitate at all. I went on a trip to Ireland last year with a friend (both in our mid-20s) and stayed in a bunch of hostels, including a couple in Dublin. I'd go back on my own and do it the same way in a heartbeat.

If you can spend a little more, you could look for a hostel with private rooms and do it that way. Might make you feel a little more secure. I know that's the way I would do it - the con to this if you're on your own is that you might not meet as many people...you can fix that by hanging out in the common areas though. Depends on what you're hoping to find from your experience.

Do it! :)

california
Level Contributor
367 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Young female staying in a hostel alone-- bad idea?

I prefer hostels for traveling alone because of the chance to meet people. When I have to stay in hotels it can feel more isolated .

I've not stayed in a Dublin hostel yet, ask me in 2 weeks. Based on the posted reviews on places like hostelworld.com I've picked Abbey as the one I'll go to. I did stay at the Globetrotters in London, but I don't know if they are related to the Dublin one.

I've felt safe in every hostel I've ever stayed in, in several countries, except perhaps the Zurich one (a long time ago!). I'm not in my 20s now, but when I was 21 I did a month long Eurail/hostel staying trip that was fine. The scary parts were getting followed on the street (Paris & Munich train station), not the hostels.

It sounds like you've got enough city experience, just apply that knowledge where ever you go and you should be fine.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,451 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Young female staying in a hostel alone-- bad idea?

Have a look at www.avalon-house.ie. Very well located.