We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is 3-4 days enough? nice day trip to countryside, ideas?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
479 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
is 3-4 days enough? nice day trip to countryside, ideas?

Hello, My husband and I (age late 20's) are planning a 6 week backpacking trip to Europe for May. We are thinking of flying into Dublin and then getting over to Germany, Italy, etc.

Is 3-4 days in Dublin enough? On one of the days we're there, I'd like to do a day trip out to see the countryside. Any ideas of where to go if you had one day to do a day trip out of Dublin? And, should we rent a car, or is there a tour bus/group we should use, if that would be easier? Any recommendations would be very helpful.

As for Dublin, the places I want to visit are the Temple Bar area (probably stay in this area), Guinness Brewhouse,...and a historic building or two....what is most impressive? Christ Church Cathedral? Dublin Castle?

Thanks!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,391 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is 3-4 days enough? nice day trip to countryside, ideas?

if i had only 4 days in ireland i wouldn't spend it in dublin but you may love it....it will make austin traffic look like the texas plains.....lol....if i had 6 weeks i would spend a minimum of 2 of those weeks in ireland.....maybe 3.......

you can check on the web and find all kinds of day trips from dublin in any direction you wish to go....

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,518 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is 3-4 days enough? nice day trip to countryside, ideas?

"Any ideas of where to go if you had one day to do a day trip out of Dublin?"

Newgrange or Wicklow. Take a "google" for both and see which one might be more to your liking. I wouldn't bother renting a car for just one day of your trip, as the hassles of renting it, returning it, and getting used to driving on the left (not to mention driving in Dublin!) would not be worth the effort.

If you decide to go with Newgrange I recommend the Mary Gibbons tour.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
149 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is 3-4 days enough? nice day trip to countryside, ideas?

Personally I would fly into Shannon and see the country there. Dublin used to be beautiful, uncrowded and very safe before all the strange UN immigration procedures took hold; sad to say the Irish seem to be losing their gaelic culture because the immigrants could care less about the country or the culture and that country is too small to absorb all this, but there is the way of the world. Dublin is not my cup of tea anymore but the west still holds its allure and it is beautiful countryside. If you have to go through Dublin, get out of the city after a tour of the architecture perhaps or Dublin castle, and go out to see Trim castle huge Anglo Norman castle and maybe a golf course is there too--also see at nearby Tara the High Crosses and the barrows. That is ancient stuff --there is also a ruined abbey nearby that was being restored when we were there can't remember the name (starts w/M) -- graceful and lovely.

Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
51,518 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is 3-4 days enough? nice day trip to countryside, ideas?

"Dublin used to be beautiful, uncrowded and very safe before all the strange UN immigration procedures took hold;"

Oh.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
149 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is 3-4 days enough? nice day trip to countryside, ideas?

I can only say that I have been traveling to Ireland since 1986 sometimes because of my work 3 times a year and I woudl generally spend at least 2 weeks there. The last time I visited was 3 years ago and I was completely unprepared for the culture shock. I say this honestly because like many who are looking forward to a trip, the picture you have in your head may be an idealized version or soemthing else other than what the reality may turn out to be and so I say this only to those who are expecting a distinct and dominant Irish culture ( as it was the dozens of times I had been there) be prepared that Ireland is not what it used to be. That is what I mean to say; every trip I have gone it is not as a typical tourist but researching a little, spedning time in the smaller towns if possible and enjoying Ireland's beauty the greatest one of which is her people and their way of being. So I say it is a shock to see how the larger centers now have crime and even murder which was literally unheard of. A female was safe anywhere alone, even in Dublin at night. And if you made the mistake of leaving your car unlocked with 600 dollars sitting in an envelope in the front seat, it was still there when you came back. That is changed.

Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
51,518 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is 3-4 days enough? nice day trip to countryside, ideas?

"So I say it is a shock to see how the larger centers now have crime and even murder which was literally unheard of. A female was safe anywhere alone, even in Dublin at night. And if you made the mistake of leaving your car unlocked with 600 dollars sitting in an envelope in the front seat, it was still there when you came back. That is changed."

Right. Got it now. Ireland never had crime until the last 3 years. OK.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
91 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is 3-4 days enough? nice day trip to countryside, ideas?

I just got back from Ireland, an I would say to skip Dublin unless you really want to do the Guiness tour and are not used to cities. It feels like any other city to me, with a few old things mixed in. The countryside is beautiful, and so different from the city, plus, it's what you actually think of when you think of Ireland. Go to Dingle or Kinsale or Killarney, you'll love it!

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is 3-4 days enough? nice day trip to countryside, ideas?

"And if you made the mistake of leaving your car unlocked with 600 dollars sitting in an envelope in the front seat, it was still there when you came back. ...that is changed."

How many times did this happen before it was finally taken?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
149 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is 3-4 days enough? nice day trip to countryside, ideas?

I left 600 hundred dollars in my car once thanks. Not stolen. I am speaking from 20 years of traveling Ireland and spending sometimes months over there and have many friends in Ireland. Yes crimes (violent crimes) were rare check the stats yourself. The last time (5yrs) I was over there some german tourists were murdered near Dublin and a girl (another tourist) had been missing on a walking tour nr. Tipperary. Can any of the fellow posters point out that crime has decreased over there? I doubt it. I am speaking from my own experience; we were there on business doing field work all over and I can tell you the smaller towns and the west have not changed as much as Dublin and Cork. For some people this seems to be a touchy subject but I am telling it like it is for those who do not have the experience and are planning travel over there.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is 3-4 days enough? nice day trip to countryside, ideas?

Its all these American programmes on the telly, CSI and stuff. We never had crime before television. (well before Gay Byrne anyway) :-)