We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash payment at Dublin B&Bs?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
Cash payment at Dublin B&Bs?

Anyone have any experience with Dublin bed and breakfast establishments that require cash payment for lodgings (but require a credit card number to hold the reservation)? Is this a reasonable and common practice? Have never run into this in the U.S. Thanks.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,617 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash payment at Dublin B&Bs?

It's reasonable and common all over Ireland, not just in Dublin. Even places that advertise that they accept credit cards are sometimes a little reluctant to take them.

They have to pay a fee to the bank when they accept payment by credit card.

(There are also some other reasons why they might prefer cash but I'm not one to speculate lol)

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash payment at Dublin B&Bs?

This is common in the UK as well. And not just among B&Bs and small hotels. A lot of the tourist activities will use your credit card number to reserve tickets for activities, and allow you to pay cash for them when you show up. They do not actually charge your card, or in my experience, even put a hold on it like many large companies in the US do. They only use it as a backup to recover their loss if you do not show up and pay in person.

I have never, ever had a problem with anyone abusing this system, so I don't think twice when I see those terms advertised.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
518 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash payment at Dublin B&Bs?

The reason so many B&Bs ask for cash is either:

1) they are 'Unapproved' : so called as they are not registered with any Official Tourism bodies and with that, are not liable to any inspections or normal laws that protect your consumer rights as you have in Approved B&Bs. They can charge a lot less for their services as their overheads are minimum and cash is their only currency.

2) They are 'Approved' : that is fully sanctioned by Tourism bodies and must have full insurance protection,certain standards etc and you can have certain rights for refunds in event of bad stay.

Fully registered and tax compliant , Approved B&Bs always have a 'Shamrock ' sign as a seal of approval.

But in order for them to compete against 'Unapproved' sector, they usually have to strip as much of the taxes,charges etc that would have to be added onto bill if paying by Credit Card , so by you paying in cash ,it is the only way most of them can stay afloat.

It is a well known problem that has existed here for many years with Politicians and Tourism bodies refusing to regulate market for reasons only they understand.

Ireland is only E.U. country that allows this unregulated market to continue and in 1 report I have seen, it stated that this contributes to a €1.5 Billion black economy tax loss, but realistically total is much higher.

As I post today , Hospital wards and services are being shut down and down graded because of lack of funds and yet over €1.5 billion is going abegging out there!

Card details are taken only for use in event of Guests not showing up etc, so practice is a form of insurance for B&Bs and as explained above ,the reason they ask you to pay by cash.

One last staggering fact is that for every 1 Approved B&B there are 2.5 that amount in Unapproved!!

Anyways ,hope this gives a concise answer to your query!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,615 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash payment at Dublin B&Bs?

wow, i don't know where you live in the u.s. but i have never reserved a room without being asked for a credit card to hold the reservation.....

this is quite normal all over the world......it is just as someone else posted....it is their guarantee that if you don't show up, they get paid for the room anyway.....after all if that happened they would have an empty room that they could have rented if they had known you were going to be a no show.....

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,617 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash payment at Dublin B&Bs?

"wow, i don't know where you live in the u.s. but i have never reserved a room without being asked for a credit card to hold the reservation...."

But have you reserved rooms in the US with a credit card but told to only pay cash upon check-out? That's what the OP is asking about - it IS pretty unusual in the US to do things this way.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,615 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash payment at Dublin B&Bs?

oop! misread....

keep me straight....i thought she wanted to pay cash and they ask for the credit card....

going back to sleep now.....

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
551 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cash payment at Dublin B&Bs?

B&B owners like cash because they get the full amount you pay them. If you pay by credit card the card company get a percentage. For a small business with tight margins this is significant.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
660 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cash payment at Dublin B&Bs?

I have never given a credit card to reserve accomodations in Ireland.

Anyone I have dealt with dont even want to deal with credit cards, they just say to pay them when I get there and to give them the consideration of calling to cancel if I change my mind.

9. Re: Cash payment at Dublin B&Bs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 04:19