We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin/airport transportation

Florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin/airport transportation

New to this forum, traveling transatlantic cruise from US to Barcelona and then home, best price was to work my way to DUB and home from there which made my lady happy.

After reading on the worst airport thread. WOW, I thought I had seen some bad airports and transportation problems. Anyway, I was going to pick up some time, 3-4 days in Dublin or Ireland on my way home. I hope my plans will not be in trouble, I hate over crowded conditions. I also hate taxi's unless nothing else is available. How about some clarification on a tourist's transportation needs from the airport to a hotel near the city center or tourist stuff or would I be better off staying at a Airport hotel and just using public transportation to commute in each day?

Will public transportation with luggage be a problem?

Any advice/opinions hotel, tours, etc. would be appreciated

LFL Worldwide Chauffeur Services
Cultural Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Aircoach
Taxis & Shuttles
Airlink
Taxis & Shuttles
Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin/airport transportation

Do not stay at an airport hotel. Unless you like soul-less experiences. Just outside the door of the airport, you will find the Aircoach to Central Dublin which leaves every fifteen minutes and takes about thirty-five minutes to reach the City Centre. It will cost you Euro 7 one way or Euro 12 return. If your hotel is near the City Centre, then the likelihood is that the Aircoach will stop somewhere near it. Other poster will tell you to take the Bus Eireann coach to Dublin for a slightly cheaper price. But simply not worth it. The Aircoach is very comfortable, reliable and efficient.

As regards the worst airport thread, that was posted by a troll. Dublin was not mentioned in the article in the Independent newspaper as a bad airport. Instead, airports such as Heathrow and Gatwick were singled out along with some of the other suspects in less developed countries.

Dublin, Ireland
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin/airport transportation

I work in Dublin Airport, and while it might not be the best airport in the world, it certainly is not the worst. Regarding airport hotels, stay well clear. As the previous posting says, they are soulless places and quite a way from the city centre. Public transport via Dublin Bus numbers 41 or 16 will get you to the city centre for under €2. There is plentiful accomodation to be found at various prices. Come and enjoy.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin/airport transportation

Agree that the Air Coach is fast and comfortable. Time it takes to get to the city centre will depend a lot on the time you land. Like any city there is a rush hour. Would highly recommend staying in the city centre as opposed to an airport hotel.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin/airport transportation

Vales was kind enough to correct my mistaken belief that Dublin was not mentioned in the London Independent article on the World's Worst Airports. And, even though the Evening Herald in Dublin purported to reproduce this article in yesterday evening's paper, the references to Dublin were edited out of its version of the article.

So, yes, two Independent correspondents referred to Dublin in quite a negative light. However, I have to say, based on personal experience of my last twenty flights out of the place, nineteen have been smooth and troublefree, one troublesome because it took well over an hour and a half to get thrugh check in and security. But, hey, nineteen successes out of twenty ain't bad.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin/airport transportation

As Cloghran stated, the 16A takes you into the centre no problem for Euro 1.90. But if you have a fair amount of luggage, forget it. There is a notice on this bus advising passengers that if they have lots of luggage then the Airport bus should be used. I caught the 1.90 bus just last week with just a very small trolley case and was fine. However there was a lady with a few pieces of luggage, the bus was very busy and she got a bit of a scolding from one irate passenger!

Florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin/airport transportation

Thanks for the Info, and I did not mean to offend anyone on the Dublin Airport, having been through Gatwick when under rebuilding etc. and others in the US as well, I'm sure it will be no real problem.

Right now Dublin is on my radar, for it is still the easiest and less expensive way to get back to Orlando and visit another country as well as a must visit to St James Gate I guess that is where the Guinness brewery is located.

london
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin/airport transportation

hope no one minds me jumping on here for some advice. me and my husband will be flying to dublin next wednesday for 2 nights and also wondering about the best value for money way of getting from the airport to the centre staying at russell court hotel. we will have one suitcase and piece of hand luggage each (largish bags) and i will be in wheelchair, i can walk short distances so have no problems getting out and folding it up and managing on crutches if need be. we did do a airport transfer search and came up with approx £50 each eachway. am hoping there is something cheaper. how much would a taxi cost each way? or could i get on one of the above mentioned methods????

london
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin/airport transportation

oops mayfair612 here airport schuttle cost quote was an astonishing £157 return only just slightly less than cost of hotel for 3 days!!! now i am seriously panicking, budget not allowed so much for a transfer

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dublin/airport transportation

Your transfer quotes seem to be totally off the scale! Who gave them to you and what kind of transport were they proposing?!! Taxis in Ireland are controlled through the government sponsored Taxi Regulator who sets prices, including maximum taxi fares. Basically you pay an initial hire charge of either €3.80 or €4.10, depending on the time of day or whether it is a weekend/public holiday. You then pay set charges per km or per minute, whichever is applicable, and an additional €1 total per additional passenger. There are no extra charges for luggages or mobility aids such as wheelchairs, and there's no longer any extra charge for hiring at the airport. The Russell Court Hotel is in Dublin City Centre, approximately 16km from Dublin aiport. A taxi fare should cost you around €30 - 35 each way. If you want to calculate your fare and to find out more about hiring taxis here, go to the Taxi Regulator's site at www.taxireg.ie It's pretty easy to get a taxi outside Dublin airport at any time of the day or night. The taxi queue is just outside the terminal and is well managed by airport staff. Don't be deterred if it seems very long as it moves really quickly.

One other thing about fares - taxi drivers may ask you if you would like to use the Port Tunnel on your journey from Dublin airport to the city centre. If you do, you will have to pay the toll which is anything from 3 euro to 12 euro, depending on the day and time of day. But as Dublin traffic can pretty horrendous, particularly on weekdays, it can often work out cheaper to take the tunnel. Enjoy Dublin!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dublin/airport transportation

All Dublin Airlink buses 737 and 747 are wheelchair accessible however they don't drop you near your hotel. You could get the airlink to O'connell St and get a taxi from the rank on O'Connell St.

I think you are better getting a taxi from the airport.