We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best public transportation from Dublin to Glasgow

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best public transportation from Dublin to Glasgow

Hi...we're (2 adults) spending a few days in Dublin in early Sept., going on to Glasgow for a few days and then to London. Definitely do not want to rent a car. Any suggestions on getting to Glasgow - bus? Train? Plane? Don't know how far Glasgow is from Dublin but don't want to spend all the time en route. Thanks for any tips.

cork
Level Contributor
270 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best public transportation from Dublin to Glasgow

Aer Lingus fly into Glasgow. Ryanair fly into Glasgow Prestwick which is 40 minutes by train into Glasgow as it's down in Ayrshire. If you were going by bus or train, you'd have to head to Northern Ireland and then get a ferry over to Scotland and then bus or train to Glasgow.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best public transportation from Dublin to Glasgow

Kula

Definately check out Aer Lingus as opposed to Ryanair. Airport is closer to the City. Usually less than a 50 minute flight. Think there are 2 flights a day - early morning and later in the evening. Have a look at www.aerlingus.com. Prices are fairly competitive too - I've never paid more that 50euro return.

Ferry would not be an option if you don't want to spend time travelling - you would have to make your way from Dublin to Larne then sail to Stranolar and onwards to Glasgow - more hastle than what it would be worth and would most probably take a full day!

Ireland
Level Contributor
381 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best public transportation from Dublin to Glasgow

I'd check out Ryanair first because there is an offer at the moment for 1c flights with no taxes and I can guarantee it is legit because the four of us went to Italy last month for 8c return. Maybe the airport Aer Lingus use is closer and you never know, you could be lucky to go on a day they are not on strike.

Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best public transportation from Dublin to Glasgow

Thanks everyone for the advice - will check out the plane option. You're like having a personal travel agent.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,460 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best public transportation from Dublin to Glasgow

It might also be worth checking the flight options to Edinburgh as there are good bus and rail links to Glasgow.

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best public transportation from Dublin to Glasgow

I'm sorry, call me clueless perhaps, but isn't plane the only option to Glasgow aside from the ferry to Stranrear and then up to Glasgow. How could bus or train even come into question?

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,460 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best public transportation from Dublin to Glasgow

Thanks for the reminder, Eurolines run a bus from Dublin (Busarus) leaving at 08.00hrs and arrives into Glasgow bus station at 16.55.

Price: 45 euro single fare

8. Re: Best public transportation from Dublin to Glasgow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 19:16