We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most memorable meal in Dublin

san diego...
Level Contributor
597 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Most memorable meal in Dublin

Hi all, say this topic on the London forum and thought it would be a good one on here. Whats the most memorable dinner you have had in Dublin?

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
540 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Most memorable meal in Dublin

That would have to be dinner at our wedding reception. After months of agonizing over the selection of food (and arguing over the price) I ended up having no appetite on the day and barely ate a morsel! Won't forget that in a hurry :)

Ireland
Level Contributor
220 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most memorable meal in Dublin

Chapter 1, for all the right reasons. Fire at the Mansion House, for all the wrong ones!

Mentioned in this post
Mansion House
Mansion House
40 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most memorable meal in Dublin

We pretty much struck out in Dublin.

On the exceptionally disappointing side: Gallagher's Boxty House - simply awful slop aimed at tourists who don't know better (like us - we'd been sent there, inexplicably, by an otherwise excellent concierge at The Clarence). Very memorable as the worst meal of our stay in Ireland.

We never had a great meal in Dublin - or Ireland. I figure that was our fault, as I've ready plenty of comments saying there's a culinary revolution going on in the country. We just never experienced it during our stay. The closest we came were the salmon dishes we had at a variety of hotels, which typically were very nicely seasoned and NOT overcooked. Unfortunately, the Irish seem to like their beef and pork significantly overcooked - I'd say by two levels of "doneness" (a steak ordered "medium" would arrive "well done", a steak ordered "rare" would arrive "medium" to "medium well"). Odd. We never were able to get a steak the way we like them - medium-rare. All part of the experience ... Oh, the Irish stews were very good dishes in nearly every case! (we love Ireland, just not so much the food).

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Gallagher's
Gallagher's
530 Reviews
Bunratty, Ireland
The Boxty House
The Boxty House
4,708 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
The Clarence
The Clarence
1,886 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most memorable meal in Dublin

i would say that "Trocadero" just up off Dame STreet is one of the most delicious places i have easten. Great choice and priced quite reasonably. if anyone is looking for good cheap food in this day and age i would reccommend a little place called "Bliss" jusst of Camden Street. you can get an early bird between 4pm and 7pm, it costs 9.95 for starter, mains and tea/coffee

Mentioned in this post
Trocadero
Trocadero
924 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
The Camden Hotel by the KeyCollection
The Camden Hotel by the...
492 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Most memorable meal in Dublin

We visited Gallaghers Boxty House in Aug 2006 and i was very glad we had. The setting and food were wonderful.

Yes, it is for tourist's, but if i go to Ireland, i want to eat something Irish, not Italian, Indian or Chinese.

Not sure if there are any other Irish restaurants around, but Gallaghers was well worth a visit.

Mentioned in this post
The Boxty House
The Boxty House
4,708 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most memorable meal in Dublin

Sorry Tom, our experience was radically different than yours. I don't mind doing touristy things and all (e.g. I LIKED Johnny Fox's), but I very much mind when restaurants fail to serve well prepared food - whether Irish or anything else. And our meal was steam-table/T.V. dinner fare. I'll eat my giant green St. Patrick's Day hat if the food we ate was actually prepared on-site from scratch. The food I had on my flights to and from Ireland were far more flavorful and properly seasoned than the meals my wife and I had at Gallagher's.

I will say the atmosphere was enjoyable. We both like being seated with other people at large tables - it very much adds to the travel experience. And the decor was not unlike the restaurants we visited in rural Ireland. AND we enjoyed being in a bustling, hopping establishment - fully expecting the food that would follow to be at least decent.

But it wasn't. Runny mashed potatoes & kale with a distinct "steam table" taste to them, the bangers tasted heavily of something quite foul - nothing like those we had elsewhere - the stew appeared and tasted as though it was fresh from a "Hungry Man" can - just a very unpleasant dining experience. I think if you'll check on this site, you'll find VERY similar experiences from many other travelers. I only wish we'd checked here before going to Gallagher's Boxty House.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Gallagher's
Gallagher's
530 Reviews
Bunratty, Ireland
The Boxty House
The Boxty House
4,708 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
633 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most memorable meal in Dublin

Christmas dinner in my Mam's!

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
50 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most memorable meal in Dublin

I'll chime in that I have always enjoyed Johnny Fox's despite it's touristy qualities, and that my favorite place (besides Trocadero) is the Winding Stair. I was not so fond of Chapter One, but then we had just come from Paris and it just didn't quite compare.

Mentioned in this post
Trocadero
Trocadero
924 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
The Winding Stair
The Winding Stair
1,803 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
50 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Most memorable meal in Dublin

I'll chime in that I have always enjoyed Johnny Fox's despite its touristy qualities, and that my favorite place (besides Trocadero) is the Winding Stair. I was not so fond of Chapter One, but then we had just come from Paris and it just didn't quite compare.

Mentioned in this post
Trocadero
Trocadero
924 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
The Winding Stair
The Winding Stair
1,803 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
359 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Most memorable meal in Dublin

This is a very subjective question and the answer completely depends on your level of interest in food and restaurants.

The best meal I've ever eaten in Ireland was at Thorntons Restaurant when it was located in Portobello ( it's now in the Fitzwilliam Hotel on St. Stephen's Green). It is very much a special occasion restaurant serving high end cuisine at high end prices but it my opinion, compeltely worth it.

Many of the restaurants mentioned ( Boxty House, Johnny Fox's etc) are tourist traps and are not representative of the dining scene in Dublin.

In response to the comments about meat being over cooked in Ireland, this is a generalisation and completely due to frequenting "tourist" restaurants which cater purely for those requiring sustenance and not people with an interest in food.

I can't beleive the conceierge in the Clarence Hotel recommended Gallagher's Boxty House!?! For one thing, his own hotel has a restaurant which is light years ahead in terms of quality.

There have been huge improvements in standards of dining in Dublin over the past few years and my advice to anyone coming here who would like to experience the best of what the city has to offer is to do some research before you come and avoid tourist traps like the plague!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
St. Stephen's Green
St. Stephen's Green
13,321 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
The Boxty House
The Boxty House
4,708 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland