We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to spend in each city/town?

Paradise Valley...
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
582 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
How long to spend in each city/town?

We will be in Ireland for 1 week. Really want to expeience the city as well as country side and unique places. So far I have chosen to be in Dublin, Galway, and Dingle Pennisula. Are these good choices? and How long should we plan to stay in each place for our 7 nights in all? Also can we pick another place or is 3 enough with still enjoying ourselves? Please help :)

At my desk
Level Contributor
342 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long to spend in each city/town?

i've never, ever, ever been to any country and prefered the major cities to more natural/ less populated areas so i would say limit your time in any cities. i'd spend 1 to 1.5 days max in Dublin, drive to Galway (possibly via Newgrange or Clonmacnoise- both really worth it), spend an evening only in Galway city (if that), and head down the west coast to Dingle. on your way, the cliffs of Moher and the Burren in Clare are well worth it. in Clare Doolin is a good place to stay. if you have kids, or want to see a castle, Bunratty castle is also good. i think you'll find most of the things that tourists look for in cities (very 'irish' pubs, 'craic' with the locals, shops with 'quaint' irish products) are actually easier to find in Doolin, Clare or Dingle, Kerry than in Dublin, Galway, Limerick etc.

At my desk
Level Contributor
342 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long to spend in each city/town?

sorry- forgot to include, once in Galway city, before you head south, do go into Connemara. you may actually want to stay there rather than Galway city. Roundwood is very nice

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How long to spend in each city/town?

OttersTrotters

Forgive my ignorance - but is Roundwood not in Wicklow? Would you be referring to Roundstone - which is a beautiful, picturesque village in Connemara?

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,412 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long to spend in each city/town?

LaurieSue.

If otter is talking about Roundstone (pretty sure this is the case) I would also row in with that location, if it fits in with your schedule.

Have a look at a light weight film called 'the match maker' for some nice views of this village, and Inis Mor. (Aran islands are terrific.)

Some not so great scenery coming out of the tanning salon though.

:)

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,412 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long to spend in each city/town?

Just one other thing Laurie - are you flying into/out of Dublin - or out of Shannon, in county Clare?

At my desk
Level Contributor
342 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long to spend in each city/town?

sorry guys, i did mean Roundstone. ah, wood...stone..same,same

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,412 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long to spend in each city/town?

Had you said Squarewood you would have totally lost us.

:)

Paradise Valley...
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
582 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long to spend in each city/town?

Thank you all for the info. Yes we are flying in/out of Dublin. Did you mean row as in rowing in water? Where can we do that ...that would be right up our alley. Also if we dont plan on renting a car is any of this available to get to by train and or how expensive if by driver or bus? Were not sure its safe for us to be driving in Ireland due to the opposite side of the rd rules. Thanks again :)

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,412 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long to spend in each city/town?

Laurie - although I can understand your reluctance to drive, you ability to tour will be seriously restricted with public transportation - but still very doable.

Buseireann operate the public bus services, and Doolin (Aran island) to Galway.

Some samples :

buseireann.ie/site/…419.pdf

to Roundstone.

buseireann.ie/site/…423.pdf

Dublin /Galway (Train)

irishrail.ie/your_journey/…2008.pdf

Tralee/Dublin

irishrail.ie/your_journey/…2008.pdf

buseireann.ie/site/…275.pdf

For rowing on Lough Derg, county Clare.

http://www.ulac.ie/

Something a bit different

www.westclarecurrachs.com/about-us-page.html

Also, on Inis Oirr, there's the Féile Curach Inis Oirr with Curach racing, sports and ceili music sessions - although dates have not been set.

At my desk
Level Contributor
342 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How long to spend in each city/town?

as the Dubs (people from Dublin) say ‘ah jay-sus!’ to be honest, i don't know how on earth you would do half my suggested itinerary without a car. especially in a week. i just assumed you would be driving, which was presumptuous and wrong of me. i apologise.

if you do want to see outside major cities and towns, i’d say you’d be better on a tour. i can’t recommend any, but i’m sure there are many out there who are more knowledgeable, less presumptuous and have a greater understanding of round v stone than me.

good luck!