We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm going sheep herding at Ballyknocken farm

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
996 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
I'm going sheep herding at Ballyknocken farm

So many traditional Irish activities to do at Ballyknocken farm so little time.

We're going to try the sheep hearding (Border Collie's do all the work!) and either a lesson in Irish traditional music (jug whistling??) or my wife want to learn the traditional scone and bread making.

Anyone been to Ballyknocken before??

Thanks,

Dan

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,376 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm going sheep herding at Ballyknocken farm

No, not been there, but eh by gum me knees are a nocken with the excitement of a future review. I hope it's a good experience and that they don't pull the wool over your eyes. Baa the way, where is Ballyknocken? Anywhere near Gloccamorra?

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,368 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm going sheep herding at Ballyknocken farm

Jug whistling...? Eh...?

Maybe you could teach the sheep to retrieve the balls you might lose over in Druid's Glen...

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,376 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm going sheep herding at Ballyknocken farm

Jug Whistling? Has it anything to do with ladies?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
996 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm going sheep herding at Ballyknocken farm

You Irish folks are great fun! eh?

Here the activities I can choose from:

Bodhran/Tin Whistle - ????

Irish Dance Lessons - (a big pass on this one!)

Puc Fada - What the heck is this???????????

Nail banging - eh?

Wellie throwing - What's a wellie???

horse shoes - how do you turn the horse over to put on his shoes?

Celtic Cross - is that a game?

Skis - do you have snow in Ireland?

archery - and Guiness don't mix!

I went with the sheep herding - at least I know what sheep are.......

Dan

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
996 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm going sheep herding at Ballyknocken farm

PS - it's located in Glenealy County Wicklow.

Hope that helps you because it doens't me...........

Anyone for ice hockey?

Dan

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm going sheep herding at Ballyknocken farm

We had a discussion about this place a few months ago,it led to a great deal of irreverant hilarity about some of the activities, sounds like fun though.Do a search for wellie throwing in the Ireland search box, not a lot of help really but funny at the time.

Bodrahn/tin whistle, two instruments, a bodrahn is like half a drum, a circular frame with goatskin streched over it which you play with a little double ended stick, great if you have a sense of rhythm. Tin whistle, like a thin metal version of a school recorder - is that any help? All the kids go through a phase of learning to play one in school. Oh the agony!

Puc Fada - throw up a hard leather ball and hit it a mighty wallop with a thing like a flattened hockey stick, see who can get it the furthest. Activity based on hurling, very popular.

Nail banging? what it sounds like I suppose!

Wellie throwing, not really a traditional irish activity but good fun if you have a good throwing arm.

Horse shoes, throw horseshoes to get them to catch round a stick in the ground. Bit like hoopla.

I would imagine Celtic Cross is making Bridget's Crosses out of rushes, traditional craft

Skis - dry ski slope

Is that any help?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm going sheep herding at Ballyknocken farm

Nail banging - maybe it's using a hammer and a nail? Hmm. I don't really think of a hammer and a nail when I think of Irish farm activities? Maybe I'm missing something?

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,368 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm going sheep herding at Ballyknocken farm

Doneraile has given some very good answers to you, Dan. Let me enlighten you further.

Bodhran - an instrument intended to drive you mad, particularly if you give it to young children for Christmas.

Tin whistle - read entry above.

Irish Dance Lessons - do NOT pass on these. They are great for

a. getting your legs in a twist

b. building up muscles, particulary in your legs

c. meeting with Irish lassies (or in case of wife, meeting with Irish lads)

d. having a heart attack

Puc Fada - see Doneraile's answer

Nail banging - it's what hubby does of a weekend. Wifey always has the bandages ready.

Wellie - it's what you put on your feet so they stay dry in whatever is called an Irish winter/summer/spring/autumn. They are usually worn with nice thick, preferably home knitted socks, that take ages to dry on the radiator and permeate that smell that just shouts out "Honey, I'm home!".

Horse shoes:

a. It's either the nice range of horse shoes by Prada.

b. It's a spelling mistake and should be "Horse shoos". It's what happens when you're attending a performance by Opera Ireland and the horse in the next seat to you takes exception to you eating chocolates and slurping a gin and tonic while Rigoletto is mourning the death of his daughter. Such rude behaviour by the horse!

Celtic Cross - not a game but an attitude displayed by youngsters who grew up having it all but now find that the Celtic Tiger has gone into hiding. Thus no more BMWs at the age of 16 or Spanish holiday homes at the age of 18. Can you blame them for being cross?

Skis - what's that? What's snow? Never heard of such things in my life! Are they decent?

Archery - yes and no, depending on your outlook. No, Guinness and archery don't mix. Yes, you might shoot the person you didn't intend to hit but might still be pleased with the outcome.

Sheep - I won't go there...

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm going sheep herding at Ballyknocken farm

I would imagine trying to bang a six inch nail into a lump of wood would be like one of those 'try your strength' machines, you would need to be accurate and land a good wallop.

A lot of these things are the kind of activities you would get at a 'field day' (know there's an American equivalent but I can't think what its called). Can be good fun if you are in the mood and in a crowd!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
996 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I'm going sheep herding at Ballyknocken farm

Thanks everyone - Cluds - I love you're humour.

Nail banging is apparently an art. From what I've learned you hammer a nail into a tree however more often then not the woman beats the man because it has nothing to do with brute strength rather it's all about finesse.

Dan