We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DART and all those town

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Croatia
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Topic
DART and all those town

Hi!

I am travelling to Dublin in two week's time for a few days and my plan for one day was to buy all day ticket for DART and visit a few towns. I plan to spend all days for this, but I'm not sure how much time it consumes and how many places should I visit, and which ones? The following are my candidates, going from North to South: Skerries, Malahide, Howth, Dun Laoghaire, Bray and Kilcoole. How many of those is feasible to do in one day. thanks...

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DART and all those town

If you have enough time, spend a day exploring the North county coastal region and another the South County coastal region. As a denizen of the North County coastal area, you could easily spend a day checking out Skerries, Malahide and Howth. Do a search for all three on the Dublin Forums. My parents live in Skerries and it's a great seaside town/village, we live in Donabate and head to Malahide for walks, drinks and great restaurants. Howth is a place we go to to walk and buy the best fish.

Croatia
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: DART and all those town

hmmm... we'll start with skerries then, and go southward, we'll see how much time we have... thank you

Ireland
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: DART and all those town

I would say to do the northern ones first, so Skerries, Malahide and Howth.

There's the park and the marina in Malahide. Howth will nearly always be busy in the Summer and make sure to get some chips in Beshoffs! There's also a market there every Saturday or Sunday, I can't remember which.

Dun Laoghaire will be nice on a sunny day though i wouldn't say there's that much in Bray or Kilcoole.

Dublin
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DART and all those town

Yes, skip Bray and Kilcoole but add Dalkey which is a lovely village with great pubs and places to eat. I recommend getting the dart to Kilinney and walking back to Dalkey along Vico road, see how the rich people live!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DART and all those town

The same farmers' market is in Malahide on Saturdays and Howth on Sundays.

Croatia
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: DART and all those town

thank you all very much... so skerries, malahide, howth, and Dun Laoghaire it is then... hope we get to see all of them... one more question, was also planning on going to howth head, i hear the view is spectacular on clear days, but not sure whether to walk or take a bus from howth... it's not that i can't take a nice little stroll, i'm not sure how much time it will take...

Oud-Turnhout...
Level Contributor
123 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DART and all those town

Just take the walk to Howth Head (I doubt if there is a bus). I have to mention that the DART doesn't really stop in Howth Centre, but the distance is acceptable, and from Centre, one step and you are on your way to Howth Head (there are some nice pubs in Howth, don't miss them !!)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DART and all those town

The DART does stop in the centre of Howth - the station is virtually on the harbour. The village runs up the hill from the harbour.

The No.31 bus runs from the city centre via the harbour, and up through the village to the top of Howth Head (the Summit). Here's a link to the timetable and route:

www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/viewer.asp…

If you take the bus up, get off at The Summit pub and walk up by the side of the pub a short distance to a public car park. From there you have wonderful views across Dublin Bay to Wicklow and you can also access the pathways around the Head from there. You can also catch the bus back down into the harbour.

If you want to walk it (it's a really nice walk with magnificent views), you can pick up the path just past the King Sitric restaurants and Ann's sweet shop at the marina end of the harbour. Here's some details of the walk:

…ireland.ie/RESULT/…

What we usually do is to walk up and around Howth Head to the car park at the Summit, have a well deserved pint in the Summit Inn and then catch the bus back down to the harbour. You can also do it the other way (take the bus to the Summit and walk back around Howth Head and down to the harbour) which is easier as you are going downhill for part of the way.

Here's a link to some more information about Howth and a map of the area.

http://www.howthpeninsula.com/

Oud-Turnhout...
Level Contributor
123 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DART and all those town

I just mean that there is a walking distance between the Dart-station and Ann of Howth (and this is for me the centre of Howth, and that 's why I mentioned the Dart doesn't stop in centre, and if visiting Howth Head, you must have to walk (or take the bus) to Ann, but it is just a short walk, and than you will have a wonderful walk. I always be happy when I can leave Dublin to this place.

Croatia
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: DART and all those town

you've been a great help, tnx...