We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

golf in Dublin

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
golf in Dublin

I have just booked a flight to Dublin in early July for a quick 5 day trip.

I am between hotels, The morrison vs. the Morgan. Any input on what would be best, the reviews seem to put them in close contention to each other, and similiar price range. I do want to be close to the city center.

My main goal in coming, though, is to play golf. I am a 27 handicap, so I wont even try St. Andrews or the big names. I am looking for small courses locals are more likely to play on and hopefully a driving range to warm up. I also like bars to be near when I play golf, mostly for my partners sake.

I am also wondering what the attitude towards female golfers is. I am traveling solo, and will be booking a tee time as a single player.

Any advice appreciated, except on ways to improve my short game:)

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: golf in Dublin

One more thing, I have not arranged any tee times yet, is it possible to get tee times when I arrive, or is it a must to book ahead. If so, is there any online booker sites in Ireland.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin
Level Contributor
319 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: golf in Dublin

Hey there, I just sent you a PM with some details about your trip.

Dublin
Level Contributor
175 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: golf in Dublin

look at teetimes.ie for cheap tee times too

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: golf in Dublin

Just wanted to say thanks, I have two tee times booked so far.

What is the general opinion of female golfers in Ireland. Generally in the US we are OK as long as we keep up the pace of play, but it can be intimidating joing a threesome of male players. Any input would be appreciated.

R

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Belfast, N.Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: golf in Dublin

Regarding hotels, my neighbour, a keen traveller, recently met up with an old friend of hers for a first visit to Dublin. After much research, they stayed at the Drury Court, a short walk from St Stephen's Green and the pricier shopping area. They were both very pleased with the hotel but advise seeking a room not overlooking the street.

While I'm not a golfer my 2 best friends are and I would be surprised if you had any real hassle playing on your own. There are 60,000 women golfers in Ireland so you may find yourself in like-minded company.

The link attached may be of interest. Céad Míle Fáilte and enjoy yourselves!

…ireland.ie/regional-golf-passes/dublin.aspx… the street.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
540 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: golf in Dublin

Robin,

Lady golfers are quite welcome in Ireland, though it can vary by club as to how many tee slots they can get. In a private club they are allocated dedicated days, mornings or time ranges within which they have exclusive use of the course. Likewise for the men. At other times it is open to all unless a competition is in play. There are ladies tee boxes separate from the mens' boxes on most courses.

My Mum is a seasoned golfer and routinely plays in mixed fourballs with no difficulty. Keeping up with the pace of play is a courtesy all golfers should afford each other, regardless of gender.

The Golf Union of Ireland (GUI) has all you need to know of golf as it is played here (http://www.gui.ie/). There are some differences in the order of play, the nomenclature used and courtesies extended during play. It's worth knowing these.

Have a good game!

Mark

(PS. I'm not a golfer, but come from a golfing family :)

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: golf in Dublin

Thanks for all the advice. I cant wait to play and see Dublin.

R

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: golf in Dublin

We just got back from a stay in Dublin and while there golfed at the beautiful Druids Glen. What a amazing golf course...tough but absolutely beautiful.

Enjoy.

Dublin
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: golf in Dublin

I would advise you to check out the Deer Park Hotel in Howth. This is about 10 miles from Dublin City center but has a good rail link called the DART. It is located on a height and has several golf courses on its grounds. If your round of golf is not good you will at least enjoy the spectacular views of the coastline of Dublin There is an 18 hole, a 9 hole and a short par3 12 hole course as well as pitch and putt. This link will take you there http://www.deerpark-hotel.ie/golf/index.html

BTW DEER PARK is a public pay and play facility so you dont have be staying at the hotel or a member to play.

Mentioned in this post
Howth
Howth
County Dublin, Ireland
10. Re: golf in Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 18:16