We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1916 Rebellion Tour was out of this world!

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
89 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
1916 Rebellion Tour was out of this world!

This walking tour was the highlight of my time in Dublin.

Snatched the following from Lorcan's website:

The Best Dublin Walking Tour

A Historical Walking Tour of The Easter Rising in Dublin

Topics discussed: The Famine or Great Hunger, The GAA, The Gaelic League, The Celtic Literary Revival, The Irish Republican Brotherhood, Cumann Na mBan, Sinn Fein, Pearse, Connolly, Michael Collins, Irish Independence, The 1916 Easter Rising, The IRA, The Black and Tan War, The Civil War, DeValera, The Free State, Ireland during World War 2, Insurrections, Irish history, modern Irish political situation, Celtic Tiger and the growth of tourism, Irish literature and films and much much more.

This was the ULTIMATE. I was brought up to be very proud of my Irish Heritage.... this did nothing but re-enforce my maw's teachings.

http://www.1916rising.com/tourdetails.html

Our guide, Lorcan Collins, co-authored a wonderful book, THE EASTER RISING. The book knocked me out, as did the man:

The Easter Rising

A Guide to Dublin in 1916

Lorcan Collins & Conor Kostick

A vivid and entertaining guide to the events and locations of the Easter 1916 Rising.

Defying all the odds 1600 men, women and children went out on 24 April, Easter Monday, 1916 to fight for an independent Ireland. The battle raged for six days and resulted in the destruction of many parts of Dublin city.

The bloody executions of the leaders by the British after the Rising awakened a generation to the cause of Irish freedom.

Vividly illustrated, this book takes you through the battle-torn streets of Dublin. Hear the sounds, smell the gunpowder and meet the main players, as the complexities of this dramatic episode in Irish history are explained in an accessible and concise fashion.

As you can see from my enthusiasm, I highly recommend both the walking tour and his book.

You can check out photos here:

…snapfish.com/share/…SALB

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
540 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1916 Rebellion Tour was out of this world!

Nanette,

I couldn't view your album on Snapfish, but I saw your opening picture where you are standing beside the Garden of Remembrance. It's nice to see someone taking the time to explore that area - it is an often overlooked part of Dublin (and indeed Ireland's) history.

Did you know - right behind that garden is the Rotunda maternity hospital, founded in 1745 and the first of its kind in Ireland, if not the world (http://www.rotunda.ie/showpage.asp?p=history)? And any minute now I'll be loading my wife into the car to fly in there for the birth of our third child!

Regards,

Mark

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1916 Rebellion Tour was out of this world!

Mark, I've posted here on days like Valentines, to the annoyance of my wife. I will now show her your post - and she will never complain again.

:))

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
89 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1916 Rebellion Tour was out of this world!

Congrats, Mark!!!!!!!!!!!

Wishing you a beautiful, healthy and happy child, honey!

Honestly, loved all of Dublin. Soaked in as much history as I could.

Trip report here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?yy1wzznxwup

RE: Photos..... you need to set up an account with them..... they DO NOT SPAM..........

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
540 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1916 Rebellion Tour was out of this world!

Nanette - thanks for your kind wishes.

Ferdia - to put your mind at ease we're in that long drawn out waiting period before she says "oh, I think we need to go now...". It's not like I'm online from the hospital posting to TA :)

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1916 Rebellion Tour was out of this world!

Thought so Mark - and the best of luck to you all.

Maybe come back after with a tripreport?

:)

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1916 Rebellion Tour was out of this world!

'Is this post inappropriate?' - goodness that looks like a phrase that could be very irritating very quickly.

What I do consider inappropriate is the use of a link to a review in order to use language that TA would not allow.

It is rather ironic that the OP says that she walked away from a local expressing an opinion on US politics, yet felt free to express an opinion on the Lisbon treaty vote!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
89 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1916 Rebellion Tour was out of this world!

I certainly didn't mean to upset you. This 1916 tour was out of this world. I posted the information to be helpful to other travelers.

RE: Politics: Said Dubliner was drunker than a skunk and picking a fight. Thus, I smiled and walked away. Didn't want to appear to be an "ugly American".

Being a Irish American, I've always taken pride in my heritage, and after studying Lisbon, decided that if I were able to, I'd certainly VOTE NO.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,451 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1916 Rebellion Tour was out of this world!

But you say he was and I quote "with a seemingly pleasant local"? Now all of a sudden he was drunker than a skunk and trying to pick a fight?

Also, many of your facts on Irish history are off and misleading.

I am glad you had a good trip and that you for the most part enjoyed yourself but it was difficult for me to read your trip report due to the abundance of errors. Yes, much of your information is probably a retelling of what you were told while in Ireland but you have to remember that these guides are there to tell a compelling tale and are not claiming to be historical experts. Yes, they will give you a gist of the truth but will certainly embellish it with rumor and many tall tales. Most information given to you in clearly non educational settings should have been taken with the same credibility as your jarvey and his 'alcoholic constipation.'

And the inclusion of your political views, while you are obviously free to include them, would be best left out of an informative trip report that others may find useful.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
89 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1916 Rebellion Tour was out of this world!

Wow. Tough crowd.

BTW: I had written this journal for MYSELF. I thought that by posting a link to it, I might give other travelers some fun ideas.

I've gotten much positive feedback on other forums. Sorry to have riled feathers over here.

Napa Valley
Level Contributor
289 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1916 Rebellion Tour was out of this world!

I didn't read the review as I don't like to download unverified website info while at work (even though I'm having lunch right now).

But I did want to say that I was very surprised at the interest in US politics during our trip in April. The nicest people I've ever met told me that Bill Clinton did a lot for Ireland (I didn't know) and so a lot of Irish were interested in the Democratic primary. So there I was in Ireland speaking with Irish who were interested in US politics and I had no idea who was running Ireland! Made me feel like quite the dummy!