We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin to Kilkenny - train or bus?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
blackpool, u.k.
Level Contributor
414 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin to Kilkenny - train or bus?

Am wanting to travel out of Dublin to Kilkenny when I'm there at the end of August so that I can have a bit nosy around (it's where my mam's from and I've never been to Ireland before so I thought I would kill two birds with one stone..)

I've had a look on the net and the journey seems to take about 2 hours by both train and by bus... which would be better? I'm drawn towards train because it's perhaps more comfortable, but I'm assuming I'd "see" more en route travelling by bus...

Anyone got any opinions on this (bus is also half the price or thereabouts...!)?

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin to Kilkenny - train or bus?

I personally would go by train. Usually you would see more by bus, but that particular trip isn't overwhelmingly interesting and you will see countryside from the train. And I agree its more comfortable.

Where in Kilkenny is your mum from - city or surrounds? It might make a difference.

blackpool, u.k.
Level Contributor
414 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin to Kilkenny - train or bus?

thanks for reply... Kilkenny town itself!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin to Kilkenny - train or bus?

The great advantage of travelling by bus is the price. The bus is just as quick as the train. As Doneraile says, the train is more comfortable in that you have access to toilets and you can walk about. The buses from Dublin to Kilkenny do not make toilet stops. However, the buses are very comfortable to travel in.

blackpool, u.k.
Level Contributor
414 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin to Kilkenny - train or bus?

thanks for the info!

5. Re: Dublin to Kilkenny - train or bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 08:17