We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland Trip Report Day Two - Dublin

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
243 reviews
Save Topic
Ireland Trip Report Day Two - Dublin

We crossed the River Liffey and went to the Temple Bar area last night . There are blocks and blocks of cobblestone streets, most pedestrian only except in the morning for deliveries. There are dozens upon dozens of bars, restaurants & clubs. We actually ate before we got there but we did sample drinks at several of the pubs. On the walk back to our hotel we had to stop again because I really had to go to the bathroom. This wasn't a tourist bar but they did have a band playing Irish music. We ended up sitting at the bar with a bunch of locals that taught us Irish swearwords among other things.

One of them Jack said to me "Canadians the same as Americans...right?" I said "You're a fecking Eejit". He was pretty impressed that I new the word Eejit....see reading all those Irish books really helped. We didn't stay too long because we were sooooo tired but it was great fun.

Today we visited two cathedrals, Christchurch and St. Patricks, one castle Dublin Castle, and Trinity College and also Temple Bar area again where we ate lunch at Oliver St. John Gogarty Bar & Resaurant. We had great mussels and seafood chowder. Oh I forgot to mention that we visited a few other pubs here and there. We walked a lot of miles. We were on Grafton Street, which is the big shopping street in Dublin and hubby bought a watch because he didn't bring one with him....what was that about?

We took a picture of Bewleys Coffee shop but didn't actually go in for a coffee because we had just finished breakfast a while before. We did walk through St. Stephens Green which is a little park in the middle of the city. We were lost for a while because I didn't bring the Dublin map with us....and what was that about?

It was a great day. We saw the Book of Kells which is the oldest book in Ireland. There was also a library with thousands more really old books.

Tomorrow we are planning on more serious sightseeing when we will to Guiness Storehouse and the Jamieson Distillery where we hear that we great free samples . It is pretty cool because we bought a Dublin card that makes all of these places free. They normally charge 6 Euros a person to go into the old churches so we see a lot more this way because we probably wouldn't bother to stop at some if we had to pay everyone individually.

We use the hop on, hop off bus quite a bit. The drivers are really something. They give you a commentary and constantly tell jokes and even sing. We got a real singer on the way back tonight. They say that Dubliners on North side of the Liffey thinks those from the South are stuckup. The south side think the North side are rough around the edges to say the least. They say the only reason a girl from South of the Liffey would marry boy from North of the Liffey is to get her handbag back. The driver that said that was from North and his wife from South. He said he gave her back her handbag but only when the judge ordered him to.

Not positive where we will eat tonight but have to run a bath and soak my feet for sure.

England
Level Contributor
595 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland Trip Report Day Two - Dublin

I am sitting here on my own laughing about the jokes from the Bus driver. Great characters most of them are and oh that singing.

Sue

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
106 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland Trip Report Day Two - Dublin

Ha ha ... nice post - despite your saying you're "not so good at this sort of thing", you're really bringing it to life.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland Trip Report Day Two - Dublin

You are seeing some of the best things in Dublin. If you have time get on the Dart at Tara station and go to Howth for several hours. It is a nice peaceful village and only about a 20 min ride. Great seafood.

4. Re: Ireland Trip Report Day Two - Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 13:19