We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ouch . . . what's the value of a dollar!

Granbury, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Ouch . . . what's the value of a dollar!

Like most Americans, I am watching the value of the dollar drop. I realize going to any city anywhere in the world you will pay a premium for going to the touristy spots or sites that post web pages . . . my search is for those restaurants/pubs (traditional Irish) that don't have their menus posted all over the place and give good value (ie food is good (not over the top haute cuisine, just tastes good) and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Any locals out there have some recommendations??? Thanks in advance and we'll see you in 100 days!!!!

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Dublin
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Wild Rover Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Collins Day Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours
Irish Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Portland
Level Contributor
213 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ouch . . . what's the value of a dollar!

Just in Dublin or elsewhere? Fortunately Ireland is generally less than the UK, still more than the US.

In Dublin we liked Bewley's Oriental Cafe- returned there several times for lunch.

Granbury, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ouch . . . what's the value of a dollar!

We'll be in Dublin with several all day trips out but I'm definitely interested, at this point, in the Dublin area only for recommendations.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,463 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ouch . . . what's the value of a dollar!

Having your largest meal of the day in a pub at lunchtime or at least before regular dinner hours will help alleviate food costs. Also, if you have breakfast included with your accommodation you can certainly fill up then as they are generally very substantial.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ouch . . . what's the value of a dollar!

Hi Ingram-Stahl...like you, I am watching the dollar too. I will be going to Ireland this September and am constantly on Yahoo finance to track how much the dollar keeps falling. I was over in Ireland a couple of years ago, and agree that if you get breakfast with your lodging, you will be full for most of the day! We also bought bread, cheese, etc to snack on, which helped too. Also, when you do get a meal over there, the helpings are HUGE! Most of the time we split meals.

By the way, I just took a trip this past weekend to Granbury, TX to hang out at your lovely lake! (I'm from Euless.) It's a BEAUTIFUL place too...did the Riverboat Cruise and took in a show at Granbury Live!

Have fun in Ireland!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,909 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ouch . . . what's the value of a dollar!

In Dublin try The Duke (pub) on Duke St off Grafton St. Their Irish Stew is very good.

And then there's O'Neill's on Suffolk St (pub). Suffolk St is at the bottom of Grafton St.

Granbury, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ouch . . . what's the value of a dollar!

I agree with all the posts so far and thanks for the input. When in London and Edinburgh we ate predominately pub food because it gave us the best value. This will be our first time for Ireland and Dublin and I guess I'm just a little concerned but the good news is the price of oil dropped today . . . maybe the dollar will go back up a little in 3 months :-)

Will probably make use of the markets and the fridge in our room but just hoping that the menus I've seen on line are not truly indicative of the general pricing. I know to look for specials and avoid making choices ala carte . . .

Still hoping to hear from locals . . . no offense to my compatriots but I want to hear from them that knows where the deals are to be found!

Glad you enjoyed Granbury! Want to buy a house LOL! I want to live in a city again!!

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,788 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ouch . . . what's the value of a dollar!

There is absolutely no reason why you cannot have a nice carvery hot plate lunch in a pub in Dublin. Less than €12 a head.

Lots of cheaper options available such as Quiches, Lasagnes and Savoury Crepes at much lower prices.

If you make use of the local supermarkets, there is a Dunnes Stores on South Great Georges Street, amongst others where you can top up with some rolls, ham, tomatoes etc. Make yourself a picnic and enjoy eating it in the grounds of Trinity College overlooking the cricket pitch or in St.Stephens Green overlooking the duckpond. Just remember to bring a couple of disposable plates and a few plastic knives and forks etc with you.

As others have said make full use of the hotel breakfast and take a piece of fruit with you for dessert later on in the day.

world
Level Contributor
284 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ouch . . . what's the value of a dollar!

I agree with Box's tip -- eat what you buy at the supermarkets and in some places, a market stall. Hands down, will save you the most money that way, it's the way most people eat in Ireland (and everywhere else, really).

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ouch . . . what's the value of a dollar!

ingram

you are going to Dublin? which is the capital of Ireland, and which is also the most expensive. if you want to save on everyday spending, then get out of the capital and work your way through the other parts of Ireland that are a lot less expensive.

Granbury, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ouch . . . what's the value of a dollar!

Thanks Whales but Dublin is the destination. As I have said in my previous posts we're going out of the city on several day long trips but we like to thouroughly explore a single city on each of our trips overseas. I can still walk the streets of Rome in my head after nearly 15 years because of the time we spent just roaming that city for ten days . . .

Again, thanks for all the advice. It's pretty much what I expected. If I can't afford to eat, I'll just have to make sure I can afford my Guinness!